Solved: Serious error that caused sudden restart...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bradley27

I was wondering if anyone could determine what this error is and why it happened.....

I was watching videos on youtube and suddenly everything froze and then the system restarted itself....

Attachments

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To, then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows will compress (zip) the file and save the new zipped file in the same location.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Your minidump file is showing nv4_disp.dll, related to your NVIDIA video card, as the probable cause of the crash.

Having only one of those crashes is not enough to blame your NVIDIA driver yet. However, if you're getting the crashes on a regular basis, you might want to consider updating your NVIDIA driver.

bradley27

Interesting okay, yes it has happened before....ill check for updates

By the way is there such thing as motherboard updates? I always hear people talking about making sure particular parts of a PC are up to date...

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Updating drivers is not always advisable when all devices seem to be in perfect working condition.

bradley27

Ok, Nvidia mentions there is a fix for "Fixes reports of occasional driver timeouts while browsing the web"....i assume thats what i may have had.

Also one last thing, i havent had any updates for yonks now, i tried to click the option to turn updates on and i got this weird message back (see screenshot)

Attachments

bradley27

So ive done what it suggests and still nothing has changed...(note this was a few days ago)....also the weird red shield in the bottom right corner didnt use to be there either...

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.
2- Run the program.
3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.
4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.
5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply.
6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

bradley27

Im with Virgin Media, and no never any connection issues to my knowledge...bare with me, ill run the scan

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Also, click Start > Run > type services.msc

Click OK.

Make sure the Automatic Updates service is Started and Automatic.

bradley27

Automatic updates isnt listed amongst "services.msc"

I will also just mention i use Firefox for browsing..not sure if that helps.

I tried to manually check for updates on the windows site and got this response....

Attachments

You can try running update via cmd prompt

Start > run> type: cmd
When window opens type: wuauclt.exe /detectnow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online