1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Serious Problems w/ new PC..Lotsa information inside..PLZ HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ChristinaS, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChristinaS

ChristinaS Thread Starter

Ok, here's the PC info:

AMD Duron Processor 1.1GHz
    Windows XP O/S (do not have the disk, but it's a legal version)
    40 GB HD
    184 RAM
    NetGear Ethernet Card
    D-Link Router (for shared internet connection w/ old PC)

More information can be obtained if needed...

Problems in order of Importance to me..lol:

1. Cannot use Keyboard at all. When first plugged in when we brought it home, the k/b worked just fine. I THINK the computer is booting in Safe Mode and that's the reason I'm unable to use the k/b, I've been using the "On-Screen Keyboard" to type in URL's to Microsoft Support, since the k/b is a MS product.
    Went into Device Manager to check on the properties and trouble shoot the K/B, and there's nothing there, it's showing no hardware, nor does it seem to even recognize that there are serial ports for the k/b and mouse. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the software and updated the software and drivers for the k/b 3 different times. I've changed k/b's and still nothing.

2. Booting in Safe Mode (see above)...I think it's booting in safe mode b/c of 2 things..first, I downloaded Earthlink Total Access 2004 b/c they told me I NEEDED it in order to share my internet connection (which I've found out otherwise since then), which gave me the MSBLAST.EXE file. Before I found out I had the blaster worm on my computer I kept getting a "RPC Error: NT/Authority will now shut down your computer in 60 seconds..etc"....that led me to finding out I had the worm, but not before it shut me down and rebooted in Safe Mode. However, I went to the Symantec website, downloaded FixBlast.exe, ran it, eradicated the file, restarted, and it STILL booted in Safe Mode. Since I can't use the K/B, I can't enter the Set-Up during the initial boot.

3. After downloading the FixBlast and getting rid of the Blasterworm, I went to the MS website to download the patch for XP (32-Bit) and received the error message stating that they couldn't find the "UPDATE.INI"

I'm really at a loss, and since it's a used computer that's been refurbished, I don't know who to contact...Earthlink says it's not their problem and that I didn't get the worm from them, however I know different since that's the only thing I had downloaded up to that point. The place that I bought the computer from says that my warranty is void since I opened up the tower to install the Ethernet card, and basically I'm at my wits end...

Please help me ..Please please please!!

Christina

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The worm did not come from earthlink.

What kind of disks DID you get with the computer?

And to tell if it's in safe mode....does it SAY safe mode in all 4 corners?

When you say serial ports for the keyboard and mouse????? What kind of connections are the keyboard and mouse? Can you describe them?

3. ChristinaS

I didn't get ANY disks with my computer, like I said it was bought used and refurbished already.

As for the safe mode thing..no, it doesn't say safe mode in all four corners, I assumed it was booting in safe mode b/c like my old computer, in safe mode it has a 1/2" black border all around the screen, although now that you've said that, I do remember that it in safe mode my old computer says safe mode in all the corners. However, the black border is there none the less, and it wasn't there the first time I turned on the computer after I activated XP.

I may have used the wrong terminology as far as the "serial port" thingy went..I'm not very computer savvy, however what I am talking about is the plug in the back of the computer (in both my computer's case they are purple for the k/b and green for the mouse). My mouse is actually IBM HID mouse with a USB port connection. The K/B is connected regularly to the back of the computer. In the device manager I've clicked every single item down to find the k/b to see if it was listed, but it's not. MS support Knowledge Base, says to look under "Mouse and Other Pointer Devices" but it's not there either.

4. ~Candy~

So those are just the standard ports.

Is the mouse going into the mouse port without the adapter?

Buying a computer used and refurbished should STILL get you some kind of installation or restore cds. If your hard drive dies, how do you reinstall the operating system????????

Have you tried adjusting your monitor settings to deal with the 1/2 inch black border??????

5. ChristinaS

The mouse is going into the USB port, not the standard mouse port, when I plugged the mouse into the standard mouse port (the green one) with the adapter, it didn't work.

As for not having any disks, well, I don't know how I'm supposed to do anything...my husband and I are going to buy in a few weeks XP Home edition from the store, just in case that does come up, however it's coming up with the money that's the problem at this point, since we just bought the computer.

As for adjusting the monitor, that's a great idea and I thought of that too, however when I click on the "Menu" key on the monitor, the mouse doesn't work on the menu, it's k/b operated. So I'm back to needing the K/B to work to try that.

Christina

6. ~Candy~

Ok, help me here with the mouse....without the adapter connected, what kind of connector is on the end? USB or PS/2??????

And IF it has a USB connector on the mouse cord, and it is plugged into a USB port......do you have other USB devices that are working correctly?

7. ChristinaS

The mouse has a USB connector and is connected thru the USB port on the back. I haven't tried any other USB devices mainly b/c I don't want to add a bunch of stuff to the computer and not be able to use it if for any reason I need to use the K/B.

8. ~Candy~

Ok, in device manager.....do we have a USB controller and USB hub appearing there?

9. ChristinaS

ok, in Device Manager I found :

(Main Listing: ) Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    (secondary Listings: ) - USB Root Hub (listed 2 times)
    - VIA Rev5 or later Universal Host Controller (listed 2 times..I believe these USB ports are on the side/front of the tower, but I've not tried anything in them)

10. ~Candy~

And no exclamation marks on any of them? Just for fun, can you try plugging the mouse into the front.

Also, can you post your entire IRQ list?

Start, run, msinfo32 then ok....hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

11. ChristinaS

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name USER-MXIXTEQO1U
    System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    System Model MS-6378
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1100 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 7/5/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.2
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name USER-MXIXTEQO1U\user
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 192.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 70.66 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 630.93 MB
    Available Virtual Memory 431.49 MB
    Page File Space 447.44 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

12. ~Candy~

Try again, wrong listing.

13. ChristinaS

Okay, I plugged the mouse into the front USB port, and XP gave me the "Found New Hardware" notices in the task bar, installed it and it works just the same as it did in the back of the tower.

14. ChristinaS

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 3 Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia OK
    IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 3 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 3 NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
    IRQ 3 Generic SoftK56 OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

15. ~Candy~

Does the mouse now show up in the device manager? It should show under human interface devices.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice