1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Server Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ninjaman123, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninjaman123

ninjaman123 Thread Starter

Me and my friend are currently saving to build a server. We have set a loose budget of 5k. We aren't even sure what we will be hosting with the server, but it's getting built one way or another lol. I have put something together, but feel free to add your input as that is what I am here for.

Attached Files:

2. dannyn

dannyn

Hello,

With out knowing what this will be used for, especially for servers, it is very difficult to help you with your selection. Server is a very loose term that could mean anything from home media server to web server, where the components that are needed could differ drastically.

The parts that you have selected and the budget that you seem to have set do not really seem to be of server nature. Really for a server there isn't too much of a point in spending 350$ on a gaming case that isn't rack mountable, seeing no one will likely see it.

I think before I go much further into this discussion, maybe you could explain how you came to the decisions that you did. For that kind of money, you could get a real server that is going to suit what I believe to be your needs much better than this build.

3. ninjaman123

It will be a web server. Probably hosting pay for play minecraft servers, ArmA servers, really anything we can make money off of. Me and a really good friend of mine have been building minecraft mods, computers, all kinds of things for awhile now, and we think that living together, running a server, computer tech, computer repair, assembly, and all around custom building would be a great business. Not only that but I myself have excellent skills in all of those fields, and I can work very well on cars, and almost all engines besides boats. The way the world is changing, running tons of things with computers, having both of those businesses in one thing would make a lot of money. Where I live (In oregon) There isn't a lot of places like that around my city so it would be an ideal place to set it up. That, or Kansas City for Google Fiber LOL

4. dannyn

dannyn

Ok whatever works best for you!

So back to the server. You have a very high budget it seems for this, so I would suggest looking at possibly https://www.dell.com/content/topics...se_family_servers?c=us&cs=ussoho1&l=en&s=soho
    You will get a very reliable server that will be warrantied for many years to come. Keep in mind that anything that you get from there with your price range is going to be enterprise grade, and usually has many features for high availability and management which is something you will want for a web server.

If you are still wanting to build your own machine, you can look through the link I provided above and look and see what they are using and then stick to something such as that. Most people are now running Intel. I would take a look at that. You will not need the mombo that you have chosen to be that expensive especially for a web server. The PSU you have specked is far over rated. For a dual CPU with one HDD, 1200 watts is wayyyy overkill. The case we already talked about. Memory, you are right in choosing to go with a lot of memory, but there is no need to go with 128gb. Also the fans are more of a gaming fan not really a server fan, with your dual CPU, you will want to make sure that with that big of a fan that it will clear your RAM and not hit your other fan.

The reason why I asked you how you picked those parts was so I could try to better understand where you were coming from in choosing these. For a web server, the server itself is really not doing that much processing (relatively). You could easily get away with one CPU. If you want to make money, spending almost $6,000 per server is not going to do that, especially if you have no redundancy or any way to make these high density in the future seeing the case is the size of a miniature horse!

So my suggestion would be to back up and reinvent the wheel. I would really look into options for servers, and try to steer clear of gaming options. Look for things you can grow into, so look for cases that support rack mounting. This way if it does take off and you are able to go to a data center you do not have to buy all new servers, you can rack the ones you already have.Look for redundancy options such as RAID.

5. ninjaman123

LOL there was 10 HDD's but okay. I just REALLY like that PSU. It is server grade, and if I need it for something I know that I can easily switch it for a smaller one. I just want to have the option of that good of a PSU. We will probably be doing data centers also, that is why I picked such large amount of storage. Afterall, it will have 3 1gbps google fiber lines when we eventually need them.

6. dannyn

dannyn

Sorry for the mistake, I did not see that.

It makes more sense now why you would need that big of a PSU. For a server, especially one that you are going to be selling services off of, you want to look into putting two PSU in for redundancy. When you are selling these services, you cannot afford for one to go down and take the whole server with it, especially if you only have a small number of servers.

If you are going to be in a data center, you will probably want to choose something that is rack mountable. To save money you want to be as high density as you can efficiently get. This case really leaves you no way to become high density.

You can take everything I say as you please, but I do not see the issue in going with a solution that is purpose built? Also if you must have that much space take a look at back blaze. http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

7. ninjaman123

Haha it's alright. Thank's for all your help. This isn't set in stone how it's going to be. This will take about 2 years. We MIGHT go intel Xeons on this one but we don't know for sure. I will admit it, I am an AMD fanboy, but AMD has never failed me. What RAID setup should I have? Or should I have.. .Well unless I can find a board with 10 SATA ports I am forced to RAID them. What RAID should I run? I will probably run 2 PSU's, most likely the AX1200i. Can you suggest racks and cabinets? I was lookin at the Intel site you suggested before and all their prices are JACKED. Other than Windows Server, that will be expensive unless we go Linux but I have never ran Linux myself so I have no knowledge of that.

8. dannyn

dannyn

Yeah AMD is a good company, unfortunately they just cannot keep up with Intel. I really like them as well and ran one for a long time, but Intel in almost all markets but super computing kicking them in the butt.

It depends on what you want. That is a design decision. How important is your data? How important is it that multiple drives can fail etc. That is what will dictate what RAID is even an option.

I do not know how you will run two of those, but that is not to say that there is not a way. If you find a way I would be interested to hear it.

That site was actually Dell whose servers run Intel. If you are going to run a data center you are going to need to become comfortable with Linux. For cases that is going to be a hard choice. The difficulty lies where you do not have much space, so in purpose built appliances everything is purpose built so it is laid out in such a way that you can have air flow, redundancy, remote manageability and the whole nine yards. If you build your own, now that is not to say it cannot be done,but with out a lot of work and money you loose a lot of those features. So for cases, I do not have anything off the top of my head. Look here for some data center stuff. http://www.blackbox.com/index.aspx Just one reference, but they have a bunch of cool products.

9. ninjaman123

Yeah sorry I always get Intel and Dell switched around, since Dell is pretty much DEDICATED to Intel. I have yet to see a Dell computer with an AMD processor in it.

10. dannyn

dannyn

11. ninjaman123

I meant in normal everyday computers, but I have not seen one in a server until now. Thanks for showing me that Dell isn't completely supported by Intel. AMD is kind of more "Bang for your Buck" I guess you could say. I got an 8150 and I love it. Runs cool, and has all the power I will ever need.

12. dannyn

dannyn

Yeah I could see how you could say that. They do have that. Watch out for the marketing trap of there architectures with high core counts. They count cores differently than Intel does.

13. ninjaman123

So is the 8150 a true 8 core? 2 cores per module, 4 modules. Nobody seems to really know. At least it's not hyperthreaded. When it's HT'd we KNOW it's not really that many cores.

14. dannyn

dannyn

No.
    From http://www.silentpcreview.com/amd-fx8150

Also is there any other questions you have about your server?

15. ninjaman123

So it's a glorified quad core?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice