1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Server Error in Outlook Express 6, 0x800CCC90 and 92

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by grannyboots73, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grannyboots73

grannyboots73 Thread Starter

After reinstalling Windows XP (and Outlook Express 6) following another problem with OE (which is posted in another thread here), I am now getting the error message 0x800CCC90 and 92, "There was a problem logging onto your (POP3) mail server. Your Password was rejected ..." This problem started when I created a new identity for my son. It is that password that gets rejected. I can access my own OE inbox, but then I get my son's logon prompt in my inbox. When I click "cancel" on that logon prompt, I get the error message about the password.

I have tried to delete my son's identity, restart OE, create that identity again, but I get the same error message. I have been to Identities, and Tools > Accounts > Mail > Properties > Servers numerous times for the past few days to try to resolve this issue, and this has been a hopelessly time consuming effort with no results. Can someone please help?

Thanks,
    grannyboots73

2. grannyboots73

I forgot to mention ... when my son's OE appears onscreen, it will not stop "Authorizing" after clicking "cancel" on all the error messages that appear ...

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi grannyboots73

Can you post the exact error message please?
    Right click on the error message and select Copy, then paste it here.

You shouldn't have to recreate the Identity, most likely the problem lies in the settings for the Server.
    Tools > Accounts > Mail tab > (Account Name) > Properties > Server tab
    Clear the Password field and the Account Name field rekey them.

4. grannyboots73

Hi EAF ... I tried to copy as per your directions ... I need the "instructions for dummies" version please ... I clicked on Copy ("Copy" showed up in a box on top of the text, but it didn't do anything) ... ??????

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

When you click Copy, the information is pasted to the clipboard on your system.
    All you need to do then is switch over to the reply window here, Right click and select Paste.
    Or press the keys: ctrl and V to paste the contents of the clipboard here.

6. grannyboots73

Nope, didn't work. I tried a few times, and each time I got my reply to Netty instead, on the clipboard, which I didn't copy in the first place.

Here is what I experienced yesterday in order to try to copy the error message.

Went to Switch User
    Go to New User (my son)
    Identity Login, typed in password, got Outlook Express window
    Goes immediately to Inbox, starts Authorizing

Sits in Authorizing for several minutes, then Options box pops up. Still Authorizing.
    I close Options box. Still Authorizing.

Window pops up:
    "Your POP3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for your server to respond?"
    I click Stop.

Login box shows again, password is remembered, I click OK.

Again, the "POP3 server has not responded in another 60 seconds ..." window shows up. Then the Option box pops, then "POP3 server has not responded in another 60 seconds ..."

and on and on it went yesterday, until finally something froze and I had to power it off.

The good news is:
    This morning, I opened OE and my Identity Login appeared. There were two accounts in that window: mine, and the one for my son. I deleted his account from my Identity Login window, and received no error messages.

However.
    The problem still exists when attempts are made to access the other account.

I have never had problems like this before; I've used Outlook Express for years without anything like this happening, and then one day just recently, we got a new flat screen monitor ... and then the issues with the address book started, which were cleared up once Windows XP was uninstalled and reinstalled, Norton AV2004 was installed (now the computer runs slower than ever) and now this craziness with the identities. So I am quite distressed about this.
    Thanks for your patience!

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

My apologies for the lateness of my reply. Thank you for your patience.

See if the steps at this link helps:
    Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password

When Windows XP was uninstalled, was this a full format and install? Was the partition deleted, recreated and formatted as NTFS?
    Do you have Recovery Disks or a Windows XP CD?

8. gurutech

gurutech

Also make sure that your son's email address is registered with your ISP. (ie, the account is created on their end.)

Check the username as well. If his username is "mysonsemail" try changing it to "[email protected]" and see if that resolves the problem.

And chances are that the password for your account will be different for his account.

9. grannyboots73

Hi EAF ...

Thanks very much for responding, and it's not at all late and I appreciate you getting back to me at all. Yes, I had looked at the troubleshooting guides, and the one you specifically mention, before coming to this forum. I will give this a try on the weekend, when I have someone here to guide me thru the steps, and will get back to you as to how it went.

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can, considering my limited grasp of computers.

When XP was uninstalled and reinstalled, it was done according to the instructions provided by Fred Langa in his "Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option", from the InformationWeek.com website. I gather from what he states ("And unlike a traditional full reinstall, this option doesn't leave you with two copies of XP on your hard drive. Instead, you end up with just the original installation, but repaired, refreshed, and ready to go.") that this may not have been a "traditional full reinstall".

Neither I, nor the person who did the reinstall, have any idea as to whether this was deleted, recreated and formatted as NTFS. Where do I go to find out this information?

Yes, we have a Windows XP CD.

Hi, GURUTECH,

Thanks very much for reading and responding. How do I make sure that his address is registered with the ISP? He was given a user ID when he set up the computer initially, and his log-in ID is different from the account we tried setting up for him in Outlook
    Express. Do all identities have to be registered with the ISP?

Something else I have noticed in the past day or so ... It used to be (back in the days of normal computer operation) that after I had logged on to Outlook Express, my username appeared at the very top of the screen, and also on the far right hand side of the Inbox. Now, Outlook opens after log-in, with no username identified at the top or at the far right hand side of the Inbox line.
    Is this normal?

Thank you both!
    grannyboots73 with a glimmer of hope ...

10. grannyboots73

Error message problem solved!

Gurutech, the problem was exactly that: my son's email had to be registered with the ISP. Since one had already been configured at the outset, we simply went back to using that one and deleted all the others. Now the error messages have disappeared. (y)

Thanks very much!
    grannyboots73

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the solution. :)

I have marked the thread Solved for you.
    In the future, that option is also available to you using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice