1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Server OS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ozziebeanie, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi all, hope everyone had a great Easter holiday, :)just wanted to ask opinions on what server operating systems to use for a server, I am picking a server up next Monday, its a used one but did not want to pay out to much while learning.

Don't know if I have put this in the right section but I am sure someone will direct it to the right place if it isn't.:p

Although I have done things on a server in the work situation, I have never set up a server from scratch, which is why I brought this server.

I will be buying a better one if I decide to get into servers a bit more, at home that is, but my question is, is there any free server operating systems or low cost ones, that will be recognised by Windows either XP Pro or Windows 7, as until I decide to go for a really decent server (if i decide to go that far) I don't want to pay out to much money for the set up when its only to gain a better understanding of servers.

Which are the best free or low cost versions, if any, do people recommend I start with? :confused:

Appreciate any suggestions.:)

Cheers :D

Beanie

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only free server operating systems are Linux based. Is that what you want to learn? Linux servers? If you want to learn how to manage Windows servers, then you should have purchased a server with a Windows server operating system. Otherwise you'd have to buy it online from a place like Newegg. They have a Windows SBS 2003 license available for $180.

What exactly did you buy? There's not much difference in hardware between a desktop computer and a server.

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I know not a lot of difference in hardware, and I have had to do things on servers like network printers, create a username etc etc as part of my job, although I have had a lot to do with desktops when it comes to parts I have never had a server to pieces and put it together or had anything to do with setting it up which is what I want to learn to set it up to use.

Done it thousands of times with a computer but never a server. Well $180.00 does not sound like a lot, is that American dollars?

If I use a Linux based server program will I still be able to use a windows computer to link to the server and do the usual things? I have to admit I am totally green when it comes to Linux, never seen it let alone used it.

Believe it or not but the company I brought it off buys disposals from government departments including the one I work for at present, some of the stuff is out of warranty but some of it was used or not as the case maybe in projects so not used much but I said to them I wanted something that was not to flash to start with, enough for me to learn stuff, but in good working order.

I will be seeing it Monday when I go to pick it up, and if suitable (taking someone that knows servers way better than me, with me, who is away at the moment but back this weekend, then off away again middle of next week, which is why I asked if I could leave it till Monday to pick it up, he is not here long enough for me to pick his brains about it all really), so will be checking it before I hand over any money, so at this stage have not got any knowledge of make or anything, but told its in good working order, if that one is not suitable will be asking to look at others.

The server rack I have picked up cheap though and its enclosed for $50.00 will be taking that regardless, as I had them check to make sure everything is still on it and all accounted for. only thing is I have to dismantle it myself so it will fit in my car, as I can not get hold of a Ute on a week day which is the only time they are open, this one was used in a project for about a year, so in good condition.

Only reason I know more about the rack is because I started to ask them about that one over a week ago, and the server has only just arrived and being cleaned up, so no ones information is on it, you never know it may have a OS on it, but since I doubt I will be given a disc for it, I will have to put my own on it.

http://www.mnsonline.com.au/ <<< this is the company I am buying it from they are about 15 min from where I live, I dont think they maintain this site to well as I have found out about stuff as it comes in and not seen it on the site.

Thanks for answering and will look up some info on the OS for servers that you suggested.

Cheers

Beanie

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yes. Windows based OS computers can access Linux through Samba or NFS.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What do you mean by "usual things"? Obviously Linux is completely different from Windows. So creating user accounts, installing printers, etc. will be totally different. Yes, you can connect Windows clients to a Linux server, but that doesn't have anything to do with managing the server itself.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I believe that $180 price is for a CAL (Client Access License) 5 pack, not the server software.
    The cheapest they show for the Server OS itself is the System Builder version at $915 ($992 AUD), which requires it to be installed on a system intended for resale. The Retail version is $1300 ($1409 AUD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mall business server 2003&bop=And&Order=PRICE
    Found this link on Amazon that has it for $576 ($624 AUD).

You can download trial versions of Server 2008 to use for 180 days:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation
    These say 240 days (60 days with 3 re-arms)
    Windows Server 2008 Trial
    Evaluate Windows Small Business Server 2008

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Cool, thanks guys for taking the time to answer, will look into them.

Will mark this as solved, you have given me a few things to look at.

Cheers

8. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Yes I do realise that different OS for servers operate in a different way, like the ones at work run on Novell so a bit different from what I am used to, I have only done things on a server that had Windows 2003 server OS, although I have done things to a server already set up I don't have a lot of experience, so always wanting to learn more.

Thanks

9. Squashman

Doesn't hurt to take a class or two at school!

10. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    No it doesn't, do any harm to take a class, but I found that if you take classes that you soon forget stuff if you are not using what you learn often for at least a while, till it sticks in there, hence buying the server.

I found that when it came to general help desk stuff if someone had not come up with a particular problem that you have not seen for six months you are having to look up what it was that you did to fix the problem last time.

I have looked about for classes I could do at nights or weekends as I am full time (till the end of my contract) and they do have computer related and some courses that involve servers to a point, as in creating web sites and hosing them, etc but they are mostly in the day time, and nothing specific for servers.

So instead I am trying to convince my boss to take me on as a trainee on a year contract, next time a vacancy comes up even though it means taking about a 10 grand pay cut but I have lived on less so no biggy, (they pay rather well even trainee's, at least ten grand more than other places i have worked,) as long as I am learning, I am willing to do it.

Weather an opportunity comes up before my contract finishes or not is another story, but by getting this stuff not only do I enjoy myself fiddling about with all things IT but by actually mentioning what I am doing at work, this might convince him I would genuinely take that pay cut to take that opportunity.

They have a section there that deals with just the servers, in the city they tend to put people in groups to deal with only certain things, where in some of the departments I have worked for, a bit out of the city, you need to know a bit of everything.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions

Hugs to ya

Beanie

11. Squashman

Then the company you are working for is not using the proper tools to document there help desk tickets.

12. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    You are right, about not using the proper tools, I was referring to a time when I was in my first Help Desk environment, amongst doing other stuff, as my first help desk job, we helped by phone email and in person, mostly in person as we where out so much doing stuff, over a huge area of miles, so we permanently had a mobile switched on.

Where I am now, we are using HP OpenView its all about numbers, everything has a number, and everyone has Q's, and now I only deal with a couple of different types of call, not a variety, but sometimes I get to replace parts, install computers, connect them to the network, re-image etc, not as often as I used to, but it gives me a break from only dealing with a certain type of call, where you are not learning much.

I am at the moment dealing more with setting up things for people and having to follow up on calls in my Q's, rather than the normal help desk calls, I either keep calls or if something different is needed other than what I do, I put the calls in others Q's, sometimes I just pinch them for myself to give me something different to do, if not to busy.

It's all about recording everything, and even though I am not with the main service centre where they put all calls in Q's I still get people ringing me up to do jobs I would never have a hope of doing or allowed to do, so have to create a service call for them and make sure they go into the right Q rather than telling them to ring the 1800 number and get them to do it, and it has to be in the right format, but I still have to record for my own use on how things are done in the different setups.

As HP Openview does not really do that, you can look up what has been done but it does not record how to do things then again those in the service centre have different views and tools to use than I do in HP.

Every place I have worked for, the SOE is different and programs are different., so to start with there is a bit of a learning curve, for a little while anyway.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice