Solved: Service Pack 2 on disk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

referee07

I have a Dell laptop computer that has no virus protection on it. I tried downloading AVG (free version) but get the "16 bit subsystem" error message.
I would like to download Service Pack 2 because it apparently has virus protection included in it but it takes a long time to download and I don't want to be doing this without virus protection. Does Service Pack 2 come on disk that I can get from Microsoft? Thanks.

referee07

mike5532g, thanks for the info. I went to the site and ordered the CD's which were free. It will take the requisite 4-6 weeks to get here but I guess that's ok. Thanks again.

SP2 does not have antivirus included.
What it does is monitor whether or not you have antivirus software installed
and whether or not it's running.

referee07

amthmi, that must have what I saw when I downloaded SP 2 to my desktop computer. Where can I go in Windows to see if this antivirus software monitoring function is working? Thanks again.

You must get either FREE or buy an anti-virus. If you don't get one, then you will be a vistor here often. SP2 does not come with a anti-virus program. In fact, if you don't have an A/V, then you will get warned everytime you boot in XP SP2.

It comes with an enhanced firewall, which has always be included with XP, only SP2 made some improvements in it and by default it is turned on.

It also turns on Automatic Windows Update. Which settings it uses can be debated, but it is on non the less.

Go here: www.my-etrust.com/microsoft and get eTrust A/V free for a year.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online