1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Service Pack 2 on disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by referee07, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I have a Dell laptop computer that has no virus protection on it. I tried downloading AVG (free version) but get the "16 bit subsystem" error message.
    I would like to download Service Pack 2 because it apparently has virus protection included in it but it takes a long time to download and I don't want to be doing this without virus protection. Does Service Pack 2 come on disk that I can get from Microsoft? Thanks.

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

mike5532g, thanks for the info. I went to the site and ordered the CD's which were free. It will take the requisite 4-6 weeks to get here but I guess that's ok. Thanks again.

4. wausau99

wausau99

I ordered a copy of SP2 and it arrived in alittle over a week.

5. mach9

mach9

Four days here.

6. amthmi

amthmi

SP2 does not have antivirus included.
    What it does is monitor whether or not you have antivirus software installed
    and whether or not it's running.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

amthmi, that must have what I saw when I downloaded SP 2 to my desktop computer. Where can I go in Windows to see if this antivirus software monitoring function is working? Thanks again.

8. dobhar

dobhar

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

You must get either FREE or buy an anti-virus. If you don't get one, then you will be a vistor here often. SP2 does not come with a anti-virus program. In fact, if you don't have an A/V, then you will get warned everytime you boot in XP SP2.

It comes with an enhanced firewall, which has always be included with XP, only SP2 made some improvements in it and by default it is turned on.

It also turns on Automatic Windows Update. Which settings it uses can be debated, but it is on non the less.

Go here: www.my-etrust.com/microsoft and get eTrust A/V free for a year.

10. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Try this Avast Homepage , they also have a free version and IMHO it's better tha AVG. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice