1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Service Pack SNAFU:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by referee07, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I recently downloaded SP2 to my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop but after the download downloaded and installed, when the computer restarted it came to an abrupt halt and I got the message that the (this is not 100% correct, but close) "/Windows/inf/biosinfo/inf" file was missing. I tried to repair Windows using the XP CD that came with the computer but wasn't able to do so but with the help of Dell tech's, and by reinstalling Windows, the problem was corrected. Has anyone else had problems such as this when downloading and installing SP2?

2. southernlady

southernlady

I don't know if that particular error has come up but if you do a search on this board and others using the term SP2, you will be amazed at the amount of posts with issues concerning that particular little SP.

IF you JUST reinstalled Windows and have not reinstalled ANYTHING ELSE, you CAN install it fairly easily from a CD. BTDT and it worked but that WAS THE ONLY way *I* did it successfully. Others were luckier. Others haven't even tried yet. Good luck Liz

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Liz, thanks for the reply. I was lucky. I only had to reinstall Windows and nothing else. All of my programs came back as they had been.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice