Solved: Service Pack SNAFU:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

referee07

I recently downloaded SP2 to my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop but after the download downloaded and installed, when the computer restarted it came to an abrupt halt and I got the message that the (this is not 100% correct, but close) "/Windows/inf/biosinfo/inf" file was missing. I tried to repair Windows using the XP CD that came with the computer but wasn't able to do so but with the help of Dell tech's, and by reinstalling Windows, the problem was corrected. Has anyone else had problems such as this when downloading and installing SP2?

I don't know if that particular error has come up but if you do a search on this board and others using the term SP2, you will be amazed at the amount of posts with issues concerning that particular little SP.

IF you JUST reinstalled Windows and have not reinstalled ANYTHING ELSE, you CAN install it fairly easily from a CD. BTDT and it worked but that WAS THE ONLY way *I* did it successfully. Others were luckier. Others haven't even tried yet. Good luck Liz

referee07

Liz, thanks for the reply. I was lucky. I only had to reinstall Windows and nothing else. All of my programs came back as they had been.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online