1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Services.exe startup problem!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Charno, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charno

Charno Thread Starter

Hi, I normally find solutions to my computer related problems by searching Google but this time I don't seem to have been able to find anything that was relevant, so I’ll do my best to describe my problem (I am up at Uni using a computer so basing this post on my memory and what I've written down) and I appreciate any help that people give.

My operating system is Windows XP Home

The computer boots normally and the windows loading screen appears as normal but before the welcome screen appears (I think) I receive this error message:-

Services.exe - Unable to locate Component
    The application has failed to start because MSACM32.dll was not found.

Pressing ok or closing the message simply leaves a black screen with the mouse pointer. Starting up in safe mode has exactly the same results leaving me with a black screen.

A bit of background:-
    A few days ago my original / main hard drive failed so installed windows to my second (and current) hard drive then began the process of reinstalling all my lost programmes e.t.c. every thing seemed fine till this morning when i returned to my computer and it seemed to have crashed to a blank screen. So I restarted found that my user account was corrupt and received the error message

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msident.dll is corrupt or unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I restarted and ran Chkdsk which was completed but then got the services.exe error message.

Any other information that might help I’ll try and supply.

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps

2. bobol

bobol

Perhaps post a hijack this log here if you can......Link for Hijack This is below.
    Run it from a folder not in a Temporary folder location.... ie, place it in Program Files\...

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

When you get this black screen and mouse pointer, are you able to bring up task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del? If so, goto file, new task, type explorer.exe and click ok. This should at least bring up your icons and taskbar.

Are you able to login under a different account? Try the built-in Administrator account.

4. Charno

Charno Thread Starter

As I had only recently reinstalled windows and didn't yet have much to lose on my hard drive. I decided to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows, at the moment the problem hasn't reoccured and hopefully it never does.
    Thanks for the help anyway

5. bobol

bobol

no probs.....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice