1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Services.msc....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manomina, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manomina

manomina Thread Starter

On one of my laptops I keep losing my internet connection. In Network Connections, when I right-click and look at the properties, this laptop only has general & advance tabs and on my other one has the wireless network tab. I was told to go in to SERVICES.MSC and start the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Well, this did work, but they said when I reboot it wouldn't remember it and I would have to do this all over again.

How do I get it to remember it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you set it to automatic?

3. manomina

manomina Thread Starter

It was set to automatic. I just switched from wep to wpa, rebooted and I I still can not connect. So I go in a start that service, go into the network connections, wireless network....and I have to check the box to let Windows configure my wireless and I have to remove everything in the Preferred networks box and then I can connect. Not sure why this happens on my DELL laptop but not on my HP.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because on the Dell you have another wireless utility running? Maybe Dell WLAN or a utility named for the adapter?

I think that the Dell WLAN runs as a service.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What version of Windows do you have on this laptop Home or Pro?

Is this a legal version of Windows?

6. manomina

manomina Thread Starter

This is the adapter I am running:

Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

I am running Pro and yes, it's legal. So you think there is another service I need to close? Is this a dependency problem or something?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm thinking conflict possibilities. WZC starts per its 'automatic' Startup Type' and then another wireless utility starts and shuts down WZC. You only want one wireless utility running, but if WZC is the one you want you have to find and quiet the other one. But, again, this is just one possibility.

8. manomina

manomina Thread Starter

Well, I was trying to upgrade somethings on it and it wouldn't reboot and I couldn't even repair. I am going to hook it up on my other pc and delete the windows directory in hopes it will reinstall everything and maybe it will fix itself.

9. manomina

manomina Thread Starter

That took care of that problem.

Thanks!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice