1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Set Default Background Color in Windows Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have a friend who suffers from age-related macular degeneration (ARMD). She is mostly home-bound and one of her few pleasures is sending and receiving e-mail. Her laptop OS is Vista and she uses Windows Mail (not Windows Live Mail -- Windows Mail). The black font on white background default e-mail format is difficult for her to see. A bright yellow background with black letters is much easier for her to see, so I guided her by phone on how to create an e-mail with a yellow background.

She then asked two questions: (1) How can I set the yellow background as the default format when I compose an e-mail and (2) is there any way to force the yellow background on incoming e-mails. I've virtually certain that the answer to question (2) is that there's no way to do that because it violates the integrity of the format used by the sender. But there ought to be a way to make the yellow background the default for all the e-mails she composes. I tried creating a blank e-mail with a yellow background and saving it as stationery, but stationery only saves graphics, not background colors.

Anybody know a way make yellow the default background in Windows Mail for all created e-mails? Or do I have to switch her to Thunderbird or some other e-mail client that provides a way to do that?

2. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Since there have been no responses to this thread, I assume there is no way to establish a default background in Windows Mail. I have since investigated Thunderbird, which does provide for default backgrounds for both sent and received e-mail, but for the received e-mails, it only works if the e-mail is in plain text. In addition, there is a learning curve associated with Thunderbird. Like many users, she only understands what to do on the computer by rote, not by understanding what's going on and how to get around issues. In addition, she recently suffered a minor stroke. So learning new programs is difficult for her. Therefore, she going to stick with changing the background and font color for each new e-mail she creates.

I will mark the thread as 'solved'.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice