1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Set up new connection or network - issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kargeras, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kargeras

Kargeras Thread Starter

Greetings everybody,

beginning 30 minutes ago I began having problems with creating a connecting to ... basically anything on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine.

1.My internet connection is PPPoE via cable (user & password required), no modem or router inside the perimeter.
    2.The problem I'm experiencing can be described by following these steps : Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center / Set up new connection or network / BLANK (no error, no freeze, no BSOD, no nothing, the button just doesn't work even though it's perfectly clickable).

[​IMG]

3.Going to Control Panel / Network / Network and Sharing Center / Internet Options / Connections I also discovered that the Setup, Add, Add VPN & Remove buttons have the same behaviour, just don't work but are clickable.

All (apart from optional) Windows 7 updates are up to date.
    The machine has already a PPPoE connection created and therefore is Internet connectable.

This of course prevents me from deleting the current connection (for I wouldn't be able to recreate it) nor to create new connections.

No Anti-Viruses or FireWalls installed, apart from Windows' default.
    No internet enhancing related software installed either (e.g. Speed Downloader etc..)
    No services previously disabled/enabled.
    Malware/virus free machine (scanned with the latest Malware Anti-Malware & Spyware Doctor 2010).

So, does anyone know what could be the cause of voiding the functionality of those buttons ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

K

2. antech

antech Banned

3. Kargeras

Kargeras Thread Starter

Magnificent advice, thank you so very much!

The sfc /scannow found the file C:\Windows\System32\connect.dll (dooooh!) to be corrupted and automatically fixed it.
    No other file was found to be corrupted.

No reboot was required, things started to work right away.

Once again, thank you :)

P.S.

If the scan can not fix it, that particular file can always be replaced with a good one from another Windows 7 installation (Ultimate 32 bits in my case).

4. antech

antech Banned

Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!