1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: set up new linksys router now no microsoft updates?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joyof60, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Running Windows 7 64bit, ISP is EATEL connected through a PACE 3801HGV to a new Linksys EA6500. Since the initial setup ( I was walked through the setup via Linksys support) I cannot access windows update, (the error screen tells me to restart my computer, "Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer", and I have done so 25 times) and I cannot update my Microsoft security essentials. Windows firewall tells me that the 'advanced settings snap-in' failed to load. Is it safe to uninstall and try to reinstall these or is there a way to start the services? You guys know windows and microsoft better than anybody, Linksys support says its a problem with my computer/microsoft. I can access updates from a wirelessly connected laptop running windows7 just not my hardwired desktop. Any help here would be most appreciated.
    Here is my SysInfo

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: LogMeIn Mirror Driver, 7 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 616705 MB; F: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 315659 MB; G: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 795097 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M2R32-MVP
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you start the Windows Update service? If not, what error message? Probably a dependency--which is the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service (not the RPC Locator). Is that Started, or can you Start it?

3. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks again Terry,
    I don't see a windows update service to start. I looked under 'services' from the control panel, I see a lot of windows services but no 'update' service.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Download SystemLook to your desktop and run it.

Copy this entire command and paste it into the program's window:

:reg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv /s

Click the Look button to start the scan. When finished, a Notepad window will open with the results of the scan.

Please post the report into your next reply.

6. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    Terry, I ran the command from command rompt and it found 'no integrity violations', (another problem that has surfaced is I cannot connect to any 'links' using IE9)
    Phantom,
    I will try the lock program and see, thanks again guys!

7. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Phantom, thanks again,
    Heres what i got, did I do this right? I had to google it to find a site, as I stated earlier, my browser (IE9) will not open links, it just kinda sits in a search mode for hours. (I have left and let it search for actually hours)

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
    Log created at 11:53 on 06/02/2013 by Main
    Administrator - Elevation successful

========== reg ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv]
    (Unable to open key - key not found)

[]
    Hive unrecognized.

-= EOF =-

8. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I ran the systemlook from the link in firefox and got the following;

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
    Log created at 12:05 on 06/02/2013 by Main
    Administrator - Elevation successful

========== reg ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv]
    (Unable to open key - key not found)

-= EOF =-

9. Phantom010

Looks like you may have used a registry cleaner in the past. The Windows Update key has vanished from your registry.

Try the following to restore the Windows Update service:

Click HERE.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

10. Phantom010

11. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I'll try, Thanks!

12. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

OK, thanks guys, some progress maybe,
    after I tried the regedit, I do have the service displayed again in my 'services' menu. I have set it to automatic and it shows to be 'started'. Windows update opened, found 55 available updates and attempted to download and install. The process failed with and error code, 80246008, and at Phantoms tag advice I googled help and got a fix from Microsoft that prompted me to start and enable the BITS service. Now I cant find that one, nothing there that says BITS or starts with 'background intellegence transfer service' at all. Is there a regedit fix for this service as well?

BTW I did the hoop jumping from microsoft support for the repair of IE9, and no luck so far, but will try the advanced options next. Thanks again so much!!

13. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

microsoft security essentials tries an update as well now but states in an error that I have no internet connection. That confuses me.

14. Phantom010

Ok, do the same with THIS.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

By the way, are you using a program called System Mechanic or any other registry cleaner, booster, optimizer or TuneUp utility?

Have you recently removed malware from your computer?

15. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

ok, i'll try,

also, not sure if this is important, but when I open the 'services' menu I get a script error as follows;
    Line: 5
    Char: 5
    Error: Library not registered
    Code: 0
    URL: res://C:\Windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.js

I usually click ok to continue running scripts. Like I said, I'm not sure if thats important or not. I will try to do the regedit in crome again.Thanks more than you know!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice