Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Setting program to open attachments

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  IMiteBable2help 
#1 ·
For some reason, Adobe Reader is the default that opens when I try to download an attachment in Yahoo mail. I do not see anything in my Yahoo settings to change this. Even if I have an attachment that is a photo, Adobe opens and gives an error message saying it can't open the picture--obviously. I need to know how to change the default program for opening attachments.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Are you using an email client or your web browser to do this? I also need to know which browser, IE or FF? (other?). Soon as I know that, I can tell you how.

#7 ·
Hi jethsy,

The attachments should open with whatever the Windows default program is for that file type.
If Adobe Reader is trying to open all file types, there might be a setting in it's options that's making it the default for everything. I have never used Adobe Reader, so I don't know if there is or not, but it should be simple enough to check.

If that's not the cause, set new file associations for the file types you want to open.
To do that, locate a file on your computer with the same extension as the attachment you want to open. I'll use JPG as an example.
Right click the JPG and choose "Open with" on the menu.
In the Open with dialog box, select the program you want it to open with (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer or the graphics program you prefer).
If the program you want is not listed, click the Browse button and find and select the program.
Place a check by "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK.
Do that for each file type that doesn't open in the correct program for it.

The above instructions are for XP, but Vista is very similar.

T. :)

#8 ·
I appreciate your taking the time to help. It turns out that the file was actually a zipped file, which I didn't know. After I downloaded an extractor program, I opened it with no trouble.

You cared and took the time to help and I thank you again!

#10 ·
Well that was easy. Glad to hear it's been solved. All this time I was thinking that ALL file types were being attempted by one program. D'OH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.