1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setting up a repeater

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sevenday, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

Hi guys. My parents have a largeish house and their wireless router is at one end, their living room in another. They barely get signal in the living room (understandable). Dad bought a Netis WF-2404 4-in-one for the "repeater" feature. Their existing router is a Linksys WRT160nV2. I spent several hours this morning trying to get them to play nice with each other, but nothing doing. I tried following Netis' instructions and struck out, tried fiddling with this and that, nothing.

Can someone break it down for me, explaining how to get this setup going?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    for a repeater , you usually log into the repeater unit and set to the correct application, repeater/extender etc depending on the options
    you should then be able to find the wireless signals being broadcast and select the one you want to extend - and some other basic settings

I will need to find a manual to look at that particular unit

edit
    http://thegioiwifi.vientin.com/uploads/file/40_Cataloge_WF-2404.pdf
    looks like it has repeater mode

http://www.vientin.com/uploads/product/1298012172_2404-CDN.pdf

site survey - is the usual way to select the wireless you want to extend - but i can only see a tab and no instructions

Edit - found the manual
    http://www.vientin.com/uploads/product/1298012172_2404-HDSD.pdf

but no instructions for setting up in repeater/extender mode - do you have instructions

so we may need to do this the hardway and see some screen shots

can you show a screen shot of the site survey tab

also we need to find the dropdown that sets the device as an extender

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

3. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

We have the same manual that you linked to. Interestingly enough, when we get into the router, it does not appear like it does in the screenshots in the manual. All the menus are moved into a tree on the left side, and there is no "site survey" now. I'm a bit busy (not planning to go back to my parents' til Wednesday morning) but when I do I can get screenies then.

There was an "AP Scan" button which, when used, did pick up the network in use and supposedly configured itself to use it. And yet it still would not connect even when given the proper information (key, etc).

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i suspect a revision change on the firmware and the manual not updated

maybe a WPS issue - or the router was not setup in repeater/extender mode -

5. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

Quite probable on the firmware change. There is a spot to change what mode it's in (AP, repeater, etc) and I switched it to repeater mode. It says repeater but - yeah, nothing. SSID matches, they're on the same network (2.1 and 2.90)... What else? Security settings are the same - same key, etc. (Interestingly, we tried temporarily taking down the security just to see if that was the problem - and it still wouldn't connect.)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on wednesday , a few screen shots etc - not sure what timezone you are in , i'm UK

7. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

Okay. For a complete picture: Router 1, the existing router, is a Linksys WRT160nV2. New router (that we want to be a repeater) is a Netis WF-2404. There are 2 desktop computers which connect to the Linksys router via Ethernet. They also have a laptop and 2 tablets, all of which are wireless. The attached photos below are the "status" screen of the Netis interface.

The WAN tab has a "wired access" and "wireless access" option. When Wired is selected, it can be set as a repeater (visible in second picture) but if wireless is chosen, it is AP only. I was not able to get many screenshots this time because I was crunched for time. The AP scan does pick up the Linksys' network (labeled Dennis in the 2nd picture) and appears to configure correctly to it, and yet when we unplug the repeater and move it down the hallway to test, there is no signal boost, as if the repeater isn't even there.

We tried both the same channel, tried one on 6 and one on 11... DHCP is turned off on R2 (the Netis). R1 starts at 192.168.2.1; we tried to set R2 to 192.168.2.2, but when I did that, it would no longer get into the interface at all and had to be reset back to 192.168.1.1. (I read somewhere to set the routers to 2.1 and 2.2, then set R1 to hand out DHCP starting at 2.3, which is why I did that.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    wanted to see options to use as an extender in the configuration pages

9. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

Am aware - have asked to have the repeater dropped off here in the morning so I can get more in depth screenshots. I was on a time crunch and could only get those two. There isn't much to see though - will chime in with more info when I have it.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have mainly used edimax
    and the wireless configuration uses the term
    universal repeater - to extend the wireless
    others i have seen use the word extender

a wireless access point (AP) is a device that allows wireless devices to connect to a wired network - and i'm not if that is the extender setting on that router
    it maybe worth a call to the manufacturers support line

heres some examples of repeaters - they all have in the dropdown mode - repeater or extender

http://www.edimax.co.uk/images/Image/FAQ/Wireless/EW-7416APn/EdimaxRangeExtenderInMac.pdf
    http://www.engeniustech.com/resources/ERB9250 Quick-Start Guide _Oct 7 2010 release.pdf
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=357
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-wre54g-range-extender-home-network/

11. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

In this case the word "repeater" is used, not extender. And I WOULD call the manufacturer, except I am deaf. I could try by relay but that takes 3 times as long as a regular call and would drive everybody nuts. That's why I decided to try here first. My dad is dropping off the repeater for me to babysit for the next couple days, so I will be able to get lots more screenshots for you in a few hours. I'll come back with more.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Ok - and i assume you have a wireless network we can extend/repeat :)

13. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

I do. However, the routers here and there are different. Also, the stupid thing would not let me change the address from 192.168.1.1 to anything else. It would go to reboot, then refuse to let me in again under either the default OR the new one. I had to use the "reset" button on the back of it to reset to 192.168.1.1 to get screenshots.

This is what happens when I connect the Netis to my roommate's laptop and choose Wired Access under WAN --->
    [​IMG]

Leads to... this on the Wireless Settings panel -->
    [​IMG]

as you can see, Repeater is selectable.

However, if Wireless is selected, this happens:

[​IMG]

So, I went to this screen --->

[​IMG]

And hit AP Scan, connected to my wireless (Horizon) and hit save. Went to change the security to match the other router (I didn't enter pw for the screenshot, just in case, but it was entered before I hit save) -->

[​IMG]

And the status screen looks like this after all that. --->

[​IMG]

Now what?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so select repeater in the dropdown

then what happens ?

15. sevenday

sevenday Thread Starter

This is what comes up when the Network is selected as Wired and REpeater is selected

[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice