Solved: Setting up DNS server behind router.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The_AcE

Okay, I am running a server using IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Server Entreprise Edition.
Can anyone tell me how to set up a DNS server behind a router? Because the server is behind a router.
My router is a D-Link DI-624.
Thank you for your help.

What exactly are you asking? Will the DNS be resolving names beyond the router to other subnets or out to the Internet?

I don't have much experience in actually doing this, but I am in the middle of studying DNS for Server 2003. If I know what is your trying to do, I MAY be able to help, or someone with more experience may step in with some help.

The_AcE

ok well i am trying to set up a webhost with a server that is running win 2k3 server. I want to set up a DNS server so that i can host domains on my server. Hope it's clear enough.

The_AcE

yeah okay let me try to clarify this, say i own a domain name : example12345.com
now for me to host that domain name on my server i need to set up a DNS server so that i can change the DNS of my domain to point to my domain name.

how do i do that?

and yes i am trying to open a webhosting company.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I know the answer to this but I cant remember the exact way to explain this. In order to be a DNS server for the Internet, they require you to run 2 DNS servers. You can't just setup your own DNS server and slap it on the Internet. You need to register yourself with ICANN I believe.. I had a really good link that explains this all but I can't find it.

The_AcE

hmm squashman i don't think you understand my question... i just plan on starting my own webhost company and i need to be ICANN accredited ? all i want is to host domain names over the internet. thats all.

To see if am understanding this at all...you are saying that you already have a domain name and static ip?

So you have incoming traffic to your dns server through your router and then in turn want to forward requests back out to the internet through your router for name reslolution?

What is connected to router on the WAN side...example broadband connection/modem?

The_AcE

look, i have a domain name.
i also have a server with windows 2k3 set up fine. In fact you can see it at: peries.dynalias.com
now i want to set up a dns server so i can point my domain's NameServer at my server. You know the "ns.domainname.com" . That's what i want to configure.
Now how do i do that if my server is behind a router? also yes my dsl modem is connected to my router.

Your experience is obviously broader than mine in such matters and forgive me if what I have to say is something that you already know or perhaps does not lead you in the right direction.

From the dns console, highlight your server, right click and choose properties. Like Squashman mentioned, you may need another server for forwarding. Try settings on the interfaces tab and try adding ip of your router???? Then have a look at the forwarders tab and see if these lead you anywhere...

Now...it's time to party! I'll look here and look for more info tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
So you have DNS from DynDNS.com. They are doing your DNS for you. So I guess I don't understand what your problem is.

I don't see a website up for your domain name so I assume you either don't have a website setup yet or you don't have the proper ports forwarded on your router for us to be able to see your website.

If you want to host Websites for other peoples domain names and you also want to do the DNS resolution for those Domain Names then you need to run Two DNS servers.

The_AcE

Okay 1st of all happy new year.

2nd. Yeah my server is off right now. That's why you aren't able to see it. Will be on soon.

Squashman said:
If you want to host Websites for other peoples domain names and you also want to do the DNS resolution for those Domain Names then you need to run Two DNS servers.
3rd. Okay now how do i set up DNS servers? I am behind a router and using win 2k3.

Finally i think you guys understood.

Thanks for the help people.

If you set up your server with Active Directory you have to set it up as a DNS server as well. All of this is done from your server setup "Configure your server" applet in administrative tools. Select the active directory item and if DNS is not installed it will install that as well.

- Install DNS on your server.
- Configure the DNS zones with all your domain/host entries.
- Set port forwarding on your router to forward TCP and UDP port 53 to the internal (private) address of your DNS server.
- Give your domain registrar the external (public) address of your router.

The main problem you could run into here is, as Squashman mentioned, most(/all?) registrars require at least two public DNS servers for any domain. Unless you can configure your router with more than one public IP address and separate port-forwarding for each address, you're going to be out of luck here. You'll need a second router (and possibly a second internet connection depending on how many IP addresses you were given).

As an aside, if you're planning to offer this service for clients, you should really have redundant internet connections and place one DNS server on each of them. (Not to mention power, location, and all other forms of redundancy... ;) )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online