1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setting up Encryption on a Trendnet TEW-652BRP Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by muckmail, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have just made a new home network with a Trendnet TEW-652BRP N router.
    I am trying to set up my encryption but I am confused on it. Under Security
    "Authencation Type" there is WEP, WPA, WPA-2, WPA-AUTO. What are these settings
    for and which do I choose for a home wireless net work?
    Thank you,

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Choose the strongest that all your devices support--WPA2, WPA-Auto or WPA.

3. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I am using a Cisco WUSB100 Ver 2 on my romote desktop computer. It looks like a flash drive.
    I used WAP and it did not work. When I disable WAP I am able to make a wireless
    connection but I must use windows to repair the wireless connection. Any suggestions
    on getting an good encryption connections?
    Thank you,

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The specs for that adapter say it supports WPA2 and you said that the router does. Make sure you have the latest driver for the adapter and firmware for the router (if you update the router's firmware then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it). Then WPA2-PSK, AES, should work. But, if it doesn't, drop back to WPA-PSK, TKIP, as it is also still secure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978894