1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setting up new adhoc network at home

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vicks, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

I am wanting to set up an adhoc network at home.
    I am using a Dell 1545 Dell Inspiron laptop with Win 7 SP1 and an older Dell Optiplex GX150 desk top. running XP pro SP3.
    Would appreciate if one of you could instruct me on what is needed to do this.
    Thanks in advance for what ever help you can give...
    Vicks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why an ad hoc network? You don't have a router and don't plan to get one?

3. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

I do have an netgear router, I want to be able to share some of the documents et between the 2 computers. I use a Verizon mifi2200 for internet. (have the router from when I used phone company dsl (not part of modem).
    Thanks for replying DoubleHelix...
    Vicks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a router is almost always easier and more convenient.

For an ad-hoc ethernet network just connect a cable between the computers. If neither computer has an auto-sensing port the cable needs to be a cross-over.

For ad-hoc wireless define the same ad-hoc network on both computers. Then just get them to connect. First time is usually a hassle, so don't enable encryption until after you get the network going. When I used ad-hoc wireless networks I found it better to use static IP addresses--the connection was made faster, and problems were easier to troubleshoot.

5. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Thanks Terry
    I think that since I have the router, I will try that way.
    Will leave this open for a couple of days until I try it...
    Vicks

6. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Good afternoon Terry
    I just got back from our local Radio Shack. The fellow there said that I can use the Ethernet cables I have to join the two computers. These are labled 5e patch. Do you agree? I don't want to do something to mess things up. He didn't have any cross over cable, so that makes me wonder if he just was wanting to sell me a regular one, but I already have a couple of those....
    Thanks
    Vicks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the laptop is no more than about three years old the probability that it has an auto-sensing port is about 99.9%, which means that a patch cable between the PCs will work. Why not just use the router? Connect the router's WAN port to the modem and connect the computers to the router by Wi-Fi and or LAN port(s).

8. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

My laptop is 1 year old. The Verizon MIFI 2200 has no way to connect to the router, only a micromini usb. to usb port. I don't care if it is in the mix. I will dig out the router in the A.M. and see what I can figure out.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me work through this. The Verizon mifi works great for when we are traveling in the motorhome, it connects thru the 3G cell network.
    Vicks

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My fault--I missed the part about your internet access being mobile wireless. Was thinking that you had DSL or cable.

10. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

No problem. When we left last November for the winter, we disconnected the landline phone and dsl. Have gone strictly with cell phones and during the winter I got the mifi. Since we are snowbirds and travel quite a bit, this just made more sense to us. It works anyplace we have cell service and is only $35.00 for 3GB a month.
    Again, THANKS! (y)

11. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

I finally got the cross over cable and am ready to mark this solved.
    Thanks again, Terry and all for the help....
    Vicks

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice