1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Setting up Windows 2000 Server(active directory)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bob Opla, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Opla

Bob Opla Thread Starter

here at work there is a machine running win2000 server. I want to enter accounts for each student. How would I set it up so they can't download programs or install files, and also so they can save files to the server. Sorry for the vaugeness. If there are good books or sites that have info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

2. techformed

techformed

I just went through all this so here are the resource I
    used...
    There is a web cast at the following url from microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/Webcasts/WC020901/wcblurb020901.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=tech&FR=0&qry=group%20policy&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_tech_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

IF the link doen't work go to technet and knowleedge base on Microsofts site and type in "group policy"

Also, active directory needs to be installed which means dns needs to be setup the wizzard usaully takes care of the server side but you need to set up the clients. Thst will depend on your network. Then I would refer to the following Knowledge base articles listed below.

I also used a book Titled "Windows 2000 Server Visually" That help out interms of getting started. I can't remember the author. Another good one was SAMS "Teach yourself 2000 server in 21 days." I spent a whole weekend on setting this up and some of the stuff doesn't work by Microsofts own admission. One other thing. All the clients should be 2000 workstations for this to work best. You can do NT style policies for those workstations. I foget the comamnd to bring that up. I can look it up if you need it. I am not reaslly sure how and if it will work with 98, ME and XP home...

BTW have a bnackup of your system before installing the active directory it can be undone but I found it quirky and had to reinstall the OS (Ghost is the best bet)

Goog Luck

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. Bob Opla

Bob Opla Thread Starter

thanks guys. i have it running and installed and everything. got the dns setup and running. all the machines are registered to the domain. i'll try those things out. my main thing is setting up file saving space on the server for each account and installing apps.

thanks again, happy new year!

5. Dan O

Dan O

Great, I will mark this thread solved.

Have a great New Year.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice