1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sett'n Up THunderbird (I got a WARNING!) ?...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by luky, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luky

luky Thread Starter

setting up a new mail account (from gmx.com) with a fresh installation of ThunderBird.....
    i got this ....
    Warning !
    - Incoming Settings: pop.gmx.com does not support encryption
    - Technical Details
    Insecure Mail servers do not use encrypted connections to protect your passwords and private information. By connecting to this server you could expose your password and private information

my concern comes from WHO im exposing my "password and private information" too.
    does it mean like other people that use this computer, here at home? - if so - thats okay
    OR people outside via the internet like hackers / bad guys /creepy crawlers ?

re:
    "By connecting to this server you could expose your password and private information"
    to who?
    as always thanks all

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To travel from your computer to that mail server packets (data; the message) travel over many wires, maybe some radio connections, and through several to many other computers. Anybody who has access to those computers or can tap into the network along the way can intercept the packets. Or, in your words, "people outside via the internet like hackers / bad guys /creepy crawlers."

3. luky

luky Thread Starter

thanks TerryNet,
    what you said makes sense - ill have to take your word for it.
    i guess now im off to search for another FREE email provider that i can accomplish this with :(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    aim.com provides free IMAP mail. Google mail provides free POP or IMAP mail. I use both with Thunderbird.

5. hewee

hewee

gmx.com is very hard to use and I have never gotten that site to work right.

6. luky

luky Thread Starter

sorry - i havent been back to update...
    i appreciate what you guys offered and as a result i ended up going with gmail.
    i ended up learning also that theres some kinda issue with gmx and craigslist.....
    i just dont need all the drama! lolol
    thanks a bunch for the feedback, especially to you, TerryNet, for clearing up how that works and how one can be exposed.
    thanks guys

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice