Solved: Setup a netgear wireless router on a company network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rjgarza01

I am a noob at networking. i wanted to know if i could setup a netgear wireless router to my ethernet cable that is coming out of the wall. is it as easy as plugging the cable coming out of the wall into the internet port on the router?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

You may want to find out what your company's IT policy may be on attaching such equipment to their network. We don't want to be telling you how to get yourself fired.

Agreed, I know my team would lynch a user who did this, as networks have been taking down by people doing this wrong...

It also opens up all sorts of security concerns, such as unsecured networks bridging the secure.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As well as completely slowing down the entire network by adding an incorrect device... such as someone did in my company i work for... adding a 10Mb switch... ugly...

Anyways I'm sure you get the drift ;)

rjgarza01

all good points. it is my understanding that other employees have them set up. i just want to get rid of all the wires. i want my desktop and printer to run wireless. i have cables running everywhere. this is not a big company. we barley have an it dept.

Confirm with them (or him / her) whatever about any policies they have. For all we know they are running Static addresses over AppleTalk, but they should be able tell you if you may do it... and the hows can come later.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online