1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Setup CD-ROM to interface thru soundblaster on Windows 95 /OS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Elroy, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elroy

Elroy Thread Starter

I am refurbishing my old 486/sx . It has a soundcard called "16 bit soundFX studio ECM",which is compatible with Adlib.soundblaster Pro,windows sound system & several other softwares. My problem is that my 2X CDROM interfaces thru the soundcard and somtimes when rebooting the system does not see the soundcard ,so nothing else loads for the CDROM. However when Windows finishes loading the sound works ther but there is no CDROM.There is one error message that "the MPU401 needs to be configured" The CDROM is a Panasonic 2X. Also the whole sound &CD system is part of a Reveal Multimedia Kit.......???Help.........Elroy

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Elroy, welcome to TSG.

Can you open the computer up and reinsert the sound card and also check to be sure the gray cable from the card and to the cdrom are both secure.......

3. ~Candy~

PM from Elroy:

I went and Booted the old computer and removed the entry.Sure enough just like you predicted ,when I rebooted there was no error message, however I still have no CDROM loaded up in Windows.That is what I really want! I want the system to have a CD ROM drive .The only why to get to the CDROM is thru the soundcard because there is no connector on my motherboard....I am still trying to figure out this web site ,I'm wondering if my problem "message " has any other replies.Going to click around in here now for a bit . Thanks ! Elroy.

4. ~Candy~

If the sound is working in windows, the problem doesn't appear to be the sound card......do you have the gray cable going in the correct direction to the card and the drive itself? Also do you have the cdrom drive jumpered correctly?

5. Monk_

Monk_

Most older systems (486) require the CD Rom driver be loaded in DOS. Do you have a CD installation disk that came with your kit?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

More likely it will be a set of floppys that came with the Reveal Multimedia Kit. One should have a setup file and load the drivers by using the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Have you tryed just typing d: from a dos prompt to see if you can access your drive?

P.S. The CDrom is probably proprietary to the sound card and wont work with an IDE (motherboard) interface anyway.

7. Elroy

Elroy Thread Starter

1) AcaCandy ;I know that the cables are tight & oriented correctly etc. because everything was working , at least temporarily, until after about the 3rd or 4th boot. .......2) Monk : yes I have a set of 3 floppies that install in Dos mode . ....3) Lurker ; As you guessed these three disks install boyh the soundcard & the CDROM drive (plus some other sound toy programs ). .I have been thinking about my original post and I don't think I mentioned that these disks ( drivers etc .) were designed for Windows 3.1 but Iam loading them to windows 95.

8. Elroy

Elroy Thread Starter

:) :) :) Thanks for the tips and ideas guys and gals,however I got the idea to search for a solution on google again. Because I had searched before with no results. The trick is to search the right clues, like" sc400 rev 4g windows 95" .This led me to a place called Jargon's Driver Museum at www.drivermuseum.com and the files I needed with an explanation of how to clean out the old drivers and config.sys ,system.ini ,autoexec.bat , then force windows 95 to accept the new ones. Anyway I'll keep in touch.........Elroy !!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice