1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stolid, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stolid

stolid Thread Starter

I recently aquired this system:

Dell PowerEdge 1600SC
    Intel Xeon 2.4GHz
    2 x 36Gb HDD
    1Gb RAM

PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller BIOS 1.05 LSI Logic Corp.
    HA -0 (Bus 1 Dev 2) PERC 4/SC Standard FW 3.28

startup says:

1 Logical Drives found on the host adapter.
    1 Logical Drive(s) handled by BIOS

This computer previously had Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 installed on it, but by the time I received it, someone had replaced the OS with Ubantu.

I came in with all guns blazing, knowing nothing about RAID, SCSI or server systems, and went and DBAN'd the whole system because 1) there was a lot of useless juck from the previous owners on there, and 2) my friend didn't like Ubantu and wanted a simple Windows XP installation.

I think i have got the HDDs online again after the dban but...

How do I get Windows XP installed in this bloody computer, so that it runs (for all intents and purposes) like a powerful desktop, instead of a server?

When i run the Windows Setup it asks for 3rd party drivers for the RAID/SCSI. I have exhausted my googling abilities trying, but I can't find PERC 4/SC RAID controllers with the relevant "txtsetup.oem" file that Windows Setup is demanding.

I downloaded the Dell perc 4/sc driver package from support.dell.com but it doesn't have the txtsetup.oem file and Windows Still asks for it.

Is there a certain array configuration that enables windows to see the drives without the drivers? If so, details please...

Please help.

Regards,

Chris

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If you have the driver files, you should be able to slipstream them to your Windows XP disk.

Download and install nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html). This program allows you to add to your current Windows installation disk such things as Windows updates, Service Packs and hardware drivers (including SATA and SCSI).

The actual usage is pretty self-explanatory. Let us know how it goes.

3. stolid

stolid Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!