1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setup did not find any hard disk drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Infocorp, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

O.K. This should not be too much of a problem and one that occurs regularly, but - I have created NTFS partitions on two hard drives installed in my computer. So, Partition Magic knows the two disks are there.

Why then do I get the message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer" when I boot up with the Windows XP setup disk?

When I boot up disk references are briefly displayed. When I go into setup, the disks are listed under "hard disk drives" as "1st drive VIA VT6420 1st HDD" and "2nd drive VIA VT6420 2nd HDD".

What do I need to do to fix this?

I thought a clean Windows XP install would be straightforward.

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

If you right click on my computer and go to manage, it'll open computer management. In there you should have disk management in the left pane, i imagine that you'll be able to see the extra harddrives in there with no drive letter against them.

1. Right-click the drive that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    2. Click Add.
    3. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
    4. Click OK.
    That should do it for you.

3. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

The disk drives have been formatted & there is no OS present

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in the BIOS setup for SATA mode. If it is set to RAID, change it to IDE mode.

5. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

Hi Frank, you are right. The disks were set in RAID mode but changing to IDE did not fix the problem.

6. IT-Support

IT-Support

Have you tried the AHCI mode? If that doesn't work, you may require a driver to install them. Did they come with any driver disks? If not do you have harddrive models so we can try and work out what's going on?

7. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

Hi Frank4d, There are only RAID or IDE modes available for selection. The disks are Western Digital WD1200JD. Windows XP was previously installed on them so it can be done.

8. IT-Support

IT-Support

right those drives are notoriously bad, but hopefully we might be able to do something. Check the bios, make sure scsi isn't turned off. It might be worth finding the drivers for the drive and also the drivers for your via chipset and installing them (hit F6 during setup)

9. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

The onboard PROMISE controller is enabled as is IDE mode. I have a driver disk but the drivers are in a VIA4in1.exe file and appears that it should be run from Windows. I have tried running it on another computer but I think it will try to install the drivers on the wrong motherboard. It dosen't have an option to extract to floppy.

10. IT-Support

IT-Support

11. Infocorp

Infocorp Thread Starter

This problem has been resolved. I paid a tech guy to fix the computer. He downloaded a SATA driver from ASUS. This was not supplied with the computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!