1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setup Static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike360x1, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I was looking for a way to setup Static IPs on my PFSense router. From what I've seen, it just simply requires the user to enter in any IP within the set range along with a sub-net mask, gateway and DNS.

I was wondering if there was anything I missed or mistaken. Here are my settings

I've setup my WLAN to be Static with the details in the images below,

http://puu.sh/fuJZ5/7fdb35ca17.png
    http://puu.sh/fuK1N/c36e616f60.png
    + and I've checked off "Block bogon networks"

So my plan is to setup a internal network with static IPs I've followed some tutorials.

At first glance of Image 1, it says connection state UP. But I'm getting a DNS probe error. Not sure why that is.

On the client, my settings are as follows,
    -Static
    -Ip address: 192.168.2.101
    -Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Is the gateway different with a different subnet?)
    -Network Prefix Length: 32
    -DNS 1+2: (W/E my router gave me). I've also tried the public DNS 8.8.8.8 etc..

What is it that I'm doing wrong? Does the DHCP settings affect Static IPs?

Thanks in advance:

2. Golden_

Golden_

"I was looking for a way to setup Static IPs on my PFSense router. From what I've seen, it just simply requires the user to enter in any IP within the set range along with a sub-net mask, gateway and DNS."

For which interface are you trying to set a static IP on? For pfSense router/firewall, you could simply change the LAN IP configuration either through the Command-line Interface, or the WebGUI that it comes with.
    According to the picture you posted, it seems like you are setting up static for the WLAN (wireless LAN) but not the LAN itself. The LAN IP seems to be used by the WLAN as the gateway out to the external network.

Now I am not very familiar with pfSense WebGUI, but on the Command-line Interface (pfSense CLI is very-friendly) [​IMG] note: This picture is not mine, it is used only as a visual example.

you would enter in 2, then follow the prompt to change the LAN from DHCP to static, then you could enter in a custom internal IP and subnet-mask for your internal network.
    Similarly, you could also configure this instead alternatively through the webGUI as you were doing earlier.

As for the WLAN, I haven't work in particular with Wireless AP that sits directly on the pfSense router itself, but I think you could configure its IP under the LAN's subnet, that way your devices, be it wireless or wired will be on the same subnet. Because on one of the pictures you shown, it seems like they are on different subnets.

3. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've tried using static for both LAN and WLAN. Neither of them gives me connection to the internet.
    and I have chosen a different sub-net because the default is occupied by the LAN interface.

The settings for LAN do not differ much from WLAN

http://puu.sh/fwGgL/d3853590a2.png

On the client, my settings are as follows,
    -Static
    -Ip address: 192.168.1.80
    -Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    -Network Prefix Length: 24
    -DNS 1+2: (W/E my router gave me). I've also tried the public DNS 8.8.8.8 etc..

Is Setting up a Static IP more complicated than it seems?

4. Golden_

Golden_

pfSense is using static IP according to this http://puu.sh/fwGgL/d3853590a2.png. The mere fact you manually entered in the IP configuration shows that you are using static IP for the LAN and WLAN adapter.

As for clients connecting to pfSense, they could just receive IP/DNS through DHCP unless you want otherwise. But if you are talking about forcing clients to use just static and no DHCP, then you would have to disable DHCP. (Services > DHCP Server > (uncheck 'enable dhcp...' box) )

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As for your client machine and the information you provided, it seems to be configured properly. However, could you please confirm it is receiving Internet? If not, please open up Command-Prompt (Windows) and paste here the output of "ipconfig /all" (no quotation marks)

5. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

I have experimented with different settings in the meanwhile and haven't gotten WLAN to work. LAN however, seems to be fine. I have setup my LAN with the following

IP: 192.168.1.70
    Subnet:255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: w/e ISP gave me

However, it seems that only 192.168.1.70 seems to work. I have turned off DHCP so there shouldn't be any more reserved addresses. I've tried a few others IE: .69 .68 .2. .10 . 75 .78

Windows is also giving me a strange error telling me that I don't have internet access but can still access the internet through web browsers and applications fine.

Here is what comes up after typing ipconfig /all
    Code:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigab
    it Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-BC-08-E9-09
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.70(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.152.176.9
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Though, there doesn't seem to be any anomalies here.

6. Golden_

Golden_

Seems like you got the LAN working fine, nice.

Let's try and get your WLAN working as well. I have re-examined the images you posted, and it seems the culprit is at http://puu.sh/fuJZ5/7fdb35ca17.png.

Under 'Static IPv4 Configuration', change the CIDR ( /32 ) to something like ( /24 ).

/32 would be 255.255.255.255 so it is a single-address thus not allowing any other device to be connected. Try changing that, and then try connecting a host to the wireless to see if it could access the internet.

Like your LAN, it is using /24 so therefore, its subnet is 255.255.255.0 allowing 254 computers to be allocated on that single subnet. Whereas /32 allows only 1 computer (in this case the router only).

7. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks for your reply,

Its fixed, not sure why I had it on 32, thanks for pointing that out. upon further inspection, I also had to change some firewall rules around.

But, I got it working no problem : D

Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice