1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. (Brand New HDD)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seanmt, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

I am trying to install Windows XP Home SP2 onto a brand new IDE hard drive but it gave me an error when trying to install it.

I then tried to format the drive (using the Windows XP disc) but after sitting through the entire format process it gives me the following error....

Code:
    Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your scsi devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or scsi adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for windows XP.
    To continue, Press ENTER"
    There is only 1 drive to choose from when I run the XP setup disc, here is what is displayed on the screen....

Code:
    190780 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Unknown]                                      190782 MB < 190782 MB free >
    I have tried doing a quick NTFS format and a normal NTFS format but they all result in the same error message above.

Any ideas or things that I should try?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If it is a SATA drive, you may need t press F6 at the begining of
    the installation and load the SATA driver.
    Windows may be trying to use a default or older driver that is not
    picking up the entire drive.
    You will need to copy the SATA drivers to a floppy disk to install when prompted.
    They should be on the motherboard CD.

3. SB305

SB305

1. Does it look good in BIOS?
    2. Download the manufacturer's disk-checking utilities.
    Sorry - gotta rush - dinner's cremating! :eek:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the drive show up correctly in BIOS?

Did this machine have any problems before this? What was the problem with the old drive?

5. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

1. When I go onto the BIOS and go onto 'Drive Configuration' and onto the 'Primary Master Drive' it says..

Model: ST3200820A
    Drive Type: Auto
    Capacity: 200 GB

So that all looks fine.

2. Downloading SeaTools at the moment and will try shortly.

As above yup the drive seems to show fine in the BIOS.

The machine was fine, only stopped using it as I wanted to upgrade.

Nothing wrong with the old hard drive, I am using it right now on my newer machine.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it is possible that you got a bad drive. That happens, and when brand new is one of the most common times to find that. Do a diagnosis with SeaTools, but don't use any options that may be there for anything else that may complicate the issue.

I expect that the drive is bad.

7. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Ok, just ran the SeaTools utility on my other computer and I think everything is OK. I presume that the little tick next to the hard drive name means it is ok.

I am running a 'Long Test' at the moment though to see if it finds anything wrong with it.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it sounds like a bad drive and that is becoming quite common with Seagate of late, though it could be bad XP cd or cd drive as well.

9. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Well just ran the long test and after a lengthy period of time it just says... PASSED.

How would I know if it was a bad XP or CD drive?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Look for scratches on Xp cd. With drive they can appear perfectly normal play all cd's wonderfully and simply won't install an os so the only way there is to try another one unfortunately. Incompatible or corrupted ram can cause this as well.

11. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

The CD looks fine. I still have the ISO (a legal MSDNAA iso) on my computer for it. I'll try burning a new copy tomorrow and see if that works.

But it could be the RAM thing as i took out 1gb RAM the other day so it is now only left with 512mb. Is it possible to check that?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Ran it 3 times, each time 0 errors found so it's not the memory.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you say you ran it 3 times, do you realize 3 complete tests would take about 5-6 hours?
    That much time hasn't gone by. Each complete test is 8 full tests as I remember and you need to do 4 of those to be sure.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the MD5 on the downloaded iso, too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice