1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: several problems - don't know what to put in title

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Osco, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Osco

Osco Thread Starter

Hello -
    I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I apologize for the rambling nature. I have no idea what is relevant and what isn't at this point. I have an HP PC running on Windows XP. I opened an email today (I requested a price quote from a website) and then my computer started acting odd. At first I didn't realize the extent of the problem and did not pay as much attention as I should have (didn't write anything down). I ran McAfee virus scan and quickly a 1 showed up in viruses detected. Then some sort of error message came up saying my computer would shut down in a short period of time with a ticking count down and a message to close/ save things. The computer shut down, I restarted it, started another virus scan and it shut down again. Next time I started the computer the task bar was white (I don't remember what it was before but it wasn't white) and looks different (Start is smaller and I'm not sure what all else has changed) and when I clicked on McAfee an hourglass showed up for a second then nothing. Same thing happened when I tried to access Internet Explorer and Help and Support. Then I opened My Documents and tried to drag files to either the CD drive or a USB drive but couldn't drag or copy/paste. I was able to open programs and use Save As to back up some files to a USB drive that I am worried may now be corrupted as well so I haven't tried it in another computer. I tried to start in Safe Mode, but F8 wouldn't work. I was able to use MSCONFIG to start in Safe Mode, but then I didn't know what to do. Still had all the same problems. Another thing I've noticed - I no longer have a volume option on my task bar and no longer hear any start up/ shut down "music". I can't launch Windows Media Player to see if I can play any music. Also, I don't have an internet connection icon on my task bar. I made a CD of malwarebytes but can't access it - I can open the folder in My Computer, and follow steps to Install, but the installation process happens almost instantly and Malwarebytes appears no where I can find on Desktop or in Start Menu/ Programs. I tried loading McAfee again through the CD and get an error message when I click on Install saying "Installation cannot continue. We're having trouble installing your McAfee software because JavaScript is not working correctly on this PC. Need more information? Visit our Customer Support site at http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=43582 for detailed instructions." I can't seem to find this site - Article not Found. I tried System Restore and get the message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run Systerm Restore again." Even after restarting it doesn't work. I know I haven't backed up everything I should have so I really don't want to do anything that causes me to lose all my data. I tried Microsoft's help line and have spent hours on hold being shuttled from department to department since I don't know if my problem is cause by a virus or what. Anyway, that describes a lot of what is going on. Hopefully I have included the necessary information for someone to recognize the problem and help me solve it!! I do have HP Operating CD and HP Restore Plus! but was worried I'd lose all my files if I try it.
    Thank you so much in advance for all help!!

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

[sleazy product announcer mode]
    Congratulations! You've been Hosed by McAfee!

You, along with countless others today, have taken it right between the eyes by a Defective McAfee Update!

McAfee chose to identify an innocuous Windows file as a VIRUS! Then, when it tried to clean up the problem, it rendered the computer un-useable (sounds of audience going aawwwww in the background).

So, though we're sorry to tell you this, but YOU'RE SCREWED!
    [/sleazy product announcer mode]

Sorry about the sarcasm, but I just couldn't resist. Not your fault, but McAfee's fault. I don't use McAfee (and you now have some idea of why that is) and so I can't help you very much. I do understand that McAfee has corrected their update and if you check their site you'll probably find instructions on how to fix your system.

If I were you, I'd just ditch McAfee altogether. But that's me.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2010-04-21-mcafee-antivirus_N.htm

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Microsoft manual work-around:

Restart the computer in safe mode by pressing F8 before the Windows splash screen appears.

Log on to the computer, and then, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Start Windows Task Manager.

Select New Task (Run…) from the File menu.

Type cmd.exe and then press ENTER.

Run the following command: ren “%programfiles%\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\avvscan.dat” avvscan.old

This behavior removes McAfee virus definitions.

Make sure that you update to the latest definitions (5959 DAT or newer) after you complete these steps to restore virus definitions.

Run the following command: copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\ and then press ENTER.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. Osco

Osco Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. Too bad Microsoft Support didn't know about this problem when I spent hours on the phone (mostly on hold) with them!! I'm pretty sure I'm just about home free - on the last step of the fix and my desktop looks normal again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice