1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: several programs have stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by andyco, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Sirs: After lurking the forums I think I have a unique problem. Am running Windows 7 sp1, amd quad core, 6 gigs of ram. A couple of months ago, after either rebooting or logging back in, my computer began popups saying that varoius programs have stopped working. For instance: "Iomega automatic backup has stopped working". In a box under it: "Check online for a solution and close the program". And in another box: "Close the program". Other programs that quit working at the same time: Mesh operating environment, Adobe reader, Adobe acrobat, IE, Cyberlink, and one or two others that don't come to mind right now. Allmost all the other programs on my computer won't open and give the same popup. My virus program, Avast opens easily, but thats about it. I can open some programs by going to their file location, changing its compatability to Vista and then opening as admin. Threatfire on the other hand won't open unless I change its compatability to windows 7. Anyway, did virus check, ran threatfire, and some other things I can't remember right now. If I restore to an earlier period my computer works OK. That is until I log out/in or reboot. Then it goes back to its screwed up self. I'm reluctant to re-install windows as I have a finance/check writing program I use for my business that is a bear to re-install and get all the files in their proper place. Have begun pulling hair out. Not much left. Time running out. Help!.......Anybody!

2. vicks

vicks

Please provide the following information so we can better help you.
    The brand and model of your computer
    the Operating system,
    and what programs you are trying to run....
    VIcks

3. Heddy123

Heddy123

I think I have seen a similar problem like this before, andyco, but not on Win7. Some of our older computers keep having programs crash unexpectedly. I just thought that it was part of life, updating the computers eventually makes programs incompatible, but perhaps I am wrong. Have you noticed that it takes forever to start up or shut down?

4. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

My computer is a HP Pavilion a6720f running Windows 7, sp 1. These programs "Stopped working" on boot up: Gladinet, Mesh, Picturemover,HP digital imaging monitor, run once wrapper, Iomega Automatic backup. I got Iomega started by going to file location and starting as admin. Got in Firefox same way. Got in IE same way. Can't get into Word or Publisher where all my invoices are. Not a lot of consistency here except if I restore to an earlier period (getting earlier and earlier) everything works fine until I either log out and log back in or restart.

5. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Add craziness: Tried to "repair install" windows 7 but was turned down because " current os is newer than the one being installed. No help there. Came back to my computer after a few hours and clicked firefox from desktop and got right in... Can't imagine what an evil ******* I was in my previous life. Paying for it now!

6. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Add add craziness: Updated Nvidia GUI drivers. Now hopping and popping!!.. Heddy123: Never had a problem with shut down or start up speed.

7. vicks

vicks

Feel free to mark this as solved by clicking on the button at the top left of your original post...
    Glad you were able to work it out! (y)
    vicks

8. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Vicks: I guess I was a little misleading about "hopping and popping". Pages used to load slowly. At least I thought so. Now, I'm moving around pretty fast by comparision. Still have the same "Program quit working" problem though.

9. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Also also: If I go to IE file location I can start it OK. I dragged it to desktop to create shortcut but it would not start. Went back to file location and it started OK....Hair gone. Eyes crossed. Mumbling to self.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you been using any registry cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup type programs?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, disable the UAC and run HijackThis again.

12. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Flavalee: No. Just ckdsk and scannow. No bad stuff showed up. Did mem check. Nothing there.
    Phantom010: Will do Hijack later today and get back.

13. vicks

vicks

andyco,
    Please follow what Phantom and Flavalee tell you to do. They are qualified and allowed to work with the HJT logs, I am not.
    I will continue to follow this thread (I learn from what they say).
    I am sure they will be able to help you sort this challenge out.
    Vicks

14. andyco

andyco Thread Starter

Sirs: A little late with this. Moving into a new house.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:06:33 AM, on 3/23/2011
    Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3505 SP1)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Gladinet\Gladinet Cloud Desktop\GladFileMonSvc.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MiniMind\MiniMind.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\Iomega Automatic Backup\iBackup.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local;127.0.0.1
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - c:\Program Files (x86)\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer for HP TouchSmart] "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDAgent] "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Automatic Backup 1.0.1] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\Iomega Automatic Backup\ibackup.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ThreatFire] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TSMAgent] "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\TSMAgent.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePDIRShortCut] "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector\7.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFaxAppPortStarter] wfxsnt40.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPADVISOR] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autorun=AUTORUN
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Iomega Automatic Backup] C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\Iomega Automatic Backup\iBackup.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoeMonitor.exe] "C:\Users\gaboneya\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\Servicing\0.9.4014.7\MoeMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10l_Plugin.exe -update plugin
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: MiniMinder.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\MiniMind\MiniMind.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Controller.LNK = C:\Program Files (x86)\WinFax\WFXCTL32.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Gladinet Cloud Desktop.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: PictureMover.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\PictureMover\Bin\PictureMover.exe
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {74DBCB52-F298-4110-951D-AD2FF67BC8AB} (NVIDIA Smart Scan) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/nforce/NvidiaSmartScan.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A3E21079-7F41-4125-9EBB-FD44CFCC0AC1} (WLCTSCControl Class) - https://www.mesh.com/0.9.4014.21/TSWeb.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A7A17DB5-7FF4-44A2-8A1B-6CB19B365AE6}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: GladFileMonSvc - Gladinet, INC - C:\Program Files (x86)\Gladinet\Gladinet Cloud Desktop\GladFileMonSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: lxdi_device - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lxdicoms.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Print Spooler (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: ThreatFire - PC Tools - C:\Program Files (x86)\ThreatFire\TFService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: WMI Performance Adapter (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 10460 bytes

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You have quite a lot of stuff running at the same time on that computer.

Try rebooting into Safe Mode. Let me know if those programs will run in that mode.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice