1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shader Model 2.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr-Steve, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

I have a program that requires Shader Model 2.0 or higher . When I load this program it gives me an error of
    "Device must support Shader Model 2.0 or higher , program will exit now"
    What do I need to do to get this ? Is it even something that you can upgrade and get ? How Do I check for it ?

I am using a :
    Dell Optiplex 170L
    Windows XP

Specs Here :
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/optix/170L_spec.pdf

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi there and welcome. According to the link you provided I saw some basic specs. Are you using the onboard integrated graphics controller? (Meaning you DO NOT use a add in card?) If so You are going to need to first make sure the drivers are up to date but seeing as your pc is so old you may have to upgrade to an add-in card for upgraded graphics capability. Can you please post here your 7 character (Dell Service Tag number) so we can identify your EXACT pc. after that I can advise you on what type of cards your system can hold and where you can purchase some. BTW what program are you wanting to run?

3. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

metallica5456 ,

Thanks for getting back with me so quick .

I am not using any add on graphics cards . This PC is stock as it came from Dell .
    I am trying to use a weather product that I use on my other PC , but this one , as you said , is so old it is not up to date enough to run it . I'm trying to run GRLevel3

All my drivers should be up to date .

Here is my Service Tag # 6XF9N61

Thanks for your help

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    The service tag should be 7 characters not 6. Also I will research for you a decent add in card what would be your budget for that? and would you want to purchase local or online?

5. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Oh , sorry , I left the "F" off . I edited the above post .

I want something that would do a good job and would cover anything else I might run into in the future . I'm not sure what they usually cost ? Online is fine .

Be back in about a hour

Thanks

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok heres the options, your onboard graphics appear to only support directx 8 however Windows XP will support up to DirectX 9.0c. So its pretty much pointless to get a card made for DirectX 10 or 11 because your OS WONT support all the additional features a newer card has to offer. Now according to your service tag you have an original (I presume) PSU rated for 250W MAX. Its going to be difficult to find a DECENT card for such a limited power supply. Now If you feel comfortable upgrading to a bigger PSU we can then get a pretty decent card. If not we should still be able to find one that will work under your current conditions. Can you also download and run this System Info tool so I can see some specs for your system just to make sure everything is updated before I tell you, "Go spend your hard earned money!" :D follow this link for the tool

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

then run it and copy and paste the details in your next post

7. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

I got this computer used from a friend , but I do expect that the PSU is original .

I'm not totally against putting in a new PSU , but would rather make do for now if possible .

I do have a extra Antec 25 430watt PSU . Will it work in this Dell ? I bought it to trouble shoot some problems I was having with an old HP .

Here is the system info you ask for

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76245 MB, Free - 55910 MB; D: Total - 76290 MB, Free - 1604 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0U2575
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thanks

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok click start and then run in the box that pops up type in "dxdiag" (without quotation marks) and at bottom it'll say DirectX version tell me what it says then click the display tab and tell me what it says under device/adapter name and total approx memory. also do u have the SFF or tower version of the computer? if you have the tower version (not SFF) it "should" fit also make sure it has connectors for all the devices like the old one does and if so you should be able to use that one.

9. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

DirectX Version 9.0c

Name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

Memory : 96.0mb

Tower version

Cool , Glad to hear I can use the other PSU

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok dont get all excited yet...LOL you have to make sure that the Antec PSU has the same MOBO connector like the old one if you take your case off and look inside ur pc you will see a BIG LONG WHITE plug with a BUNCH of wires it will be either 20pins(wires) or 24pins(wires) if the new psu has the same size/pins as the one on there now you should be able to use it as long as both the PSUs look similar in size. If you want to proceed this route you might want to go ahead and put the PSU in make sure the computer will boot and work fine BEFORE we proceed to find a decent graphics card. if you havent sone it before let me know and I can walk you through it.

11. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

I'll get back with you , checking right now .

Thanks for your offer , but I have changed the PSU before in my HP PC

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok not a problem. Let me know how it goes

13. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Ok, I'm up and running with the new PSU installed . Thanks for the advice on that .

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok cool spounds good ok I forgot to ask you on the side of your power supply I need the +12V A rating or if u cant get to it wahts the EXACT model number of the psu and we can look it up. I need to know the amunt of amps to look for so I can get a card that will run for you

15. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

It's a 25A rating

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!