Solved: shaky monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skatterbrane

I recently upgraded my hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4100 from a 40 GB to a 200GB, but now my monitor is "shaky". I've tried plugging a different monitor in to see if it was the monitor, but the other one shakes too.

Any suggestions?

skatterbrane

what do you mean? do you think I need a new video card or are you wanting to know specs?

Is the monitor a CRT or an LCD?

If CRT, "shakes" are commonly caused by a nearby AC power device that has a strong magnetic field, such as a halogen desklamp or any other devive with a power transformer, or by close proximity to a cable carrying a high current. Have you shifted anything or reloacted anything relative to the monitor?

The 60 Hz AC magnetic field interacts with the monitor refersh rate scan, causing the diffenece in frequency to show as a continuous picture "shake". Easy to check, try moving the monitor away as far as possible in any and every direction to see if it changes the effect.

skatterbrane

I actually solved my problem! "$teve" told someone else to go to properties, settings, advanced, monitor and adjust the monitor refresh -- I tried a few different ones and found one that stopped the shaking!

Now, since I'm a newbie, how do I mark this problem as solved?

skatterbrane

Actually now that I think about it, I do have a service call in to repair our tv (which sits about 2 feet from the monitor). We are having to have a new "magnet kit" installed in the tv -- do you think this could've started the problem?

To mark solved, I think you go to the thread tools up the top of this page and scroll down to 'marked solved' or something like that.

If the refresh rate "fixed it", then external AC magnetic fields are the most probable cause, higher rates can "hide" the problem to a larger degree.

And 2 feet is well within the range of influence.

Good Evening Kiwi, I struck a couple of tribolectric kiwis under the influence after the game the other night!!
They were also charged!
qldit.

Evening qldit.
Hope you soon recover from that bout of sports depression.
You really should get out more. It's not the end of the world when Australia loses, the world could not end so many times in a year....

I wonder how we will fare against South Africa?

By the way, I note you referred to out All Blacks as "Trained Gorillas" earlier, but I will have you know that are completely untrained and all natural.

Next time please check the genus of the team you send though, as the last ones were only Thylogale, Dorcopsis, with a few Macropus Rufogriseus thrown in. Actually quite a few Macropus Rufogriseus when I think of it...

The next game is here I believe, a little rat poison might slow the Apterygiformes.
I am still in mourning!
qldit.

Of course the main attribute of the Apterygiformes is that it eats roots and leaves.
Over to you where the comma's go in the attributes description though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online