1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: shaky monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skatterbrane, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skatterbrane

skatterbrane Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4100 from a 40 GB to a 200GB, but now my monitor is "shaky". I've tried plugging a different monitor in to see if it was the monitor, but the other one shakes too.

Any suggestions?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Vid card?

3. skatterbrane

what do you mean? do you think I need a new video card or are you wanting to know specs?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is the monitor a CRT or an LCD?

If CRT, "shakes" are commonly caused by a nearby AC power device that has a strong magnetic field, such as a halogen desklamp or any other devive with a power transformer, or by close proximity to a cable carrying a high current. Have you shifted anything or reloacted anything relative to the monitor?

The 60 Hz AC magnetic field interacts with the monitor refersh rate scan, causing the diffenece in frequency to show as a continuous picture "shake". Easy to check, try moving the monitor away as far as possible in any and every direction to see if it changes the effect.

5. skatterbrane

I actually solved my problem! "$teve" told someone else to go to properties, settings, advanced, monitor and adjust the monitor refresh -- I tried a few different ones and found one that stopped the shaking!

Now, since I'm a newbie, how do I mark this problem as solved?

6. skatterbrane

Actually now that I think about it, I do have a service call in to repair our tv (which sits about 2 feet from the monitor). We are having to have a new "magnet kit" installed in the tv -- do you think this could've started the problem?

7. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

maybe... maybe... I think to get problem marked solved PM mod?

8. fevola25

fevola25

To mark solved, I think you go to the thread tools up the top of this page and scroll down to 'marked solved' or something like that.

9. lazybear

lazybear

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the refresh rate "fixed it", then external AC magnetic fields are the most probable cause, higher rates can "hide" the problem to a larger degree.

And 2 feet is well within the range of influence.

11. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Kiwi, I struck a couple of tribolectric kiwis under the influence after the game the other night!!
    They were also charged!
    qldit.

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Evening qldit.
    Hope you soon recover from that bout of sports depression.
    You really should get out more. It's not the end of the world when Australia loses, the world could not end so many times in a year....

I wonder how we will fare against South Africa?

By the way, I note you referred to out All Blacks as "Trained Gorillas" earlier, but I will have you know that are completely untrained and all natural.

Next time please check the genus of the team you send though, as the last ones were only Thylogale, Dorcopsis, with a few Macropus Rufogriseus thrown in. Actually quite a few Macropus Rufogriseus when I think of it...

13. qldit

qldit

The next game is here I believe, a little rat poison might slow the Apterygiformes.
    I am still in mourning!
    qldit.

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Of course the main attribute of the Apterygiformes is that it eats roots and leaves.
    Over to you where the comma's go in the attributes description though.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!