1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shared printer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Charliep77, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charliep77

Charliep77 Thread Starter

I'm back. Trying to share a printer on a WIN 7 PRO PC. Was working after much help from this forum but has now quit.

My PC is a Vista Home Premium. If I click on network the WIN 7 PC shows but if I try to open it to see the printer it gives me a message; Windows cannot access \\XXXXX-PC.

If I try to add the printer it doesn't come up so I click option that the printer I want isn't listed and try to add by name \\XXXXX-PC\hp psc 1300 series I get message; Windows cannot connect to printer. Access is denied.

Any short term help as I'm trying to get a report out.

Long term I'm in the market for a print server. Must be able to handle 64 bit.

Thanks
    Chas.

2. myOnlinePCGuy

myOnlinePCGuy

This issue has nothing to do with the printer - you have a networking issue between these two computers. With Vista and Windows 7 you have to make sure the settings within the Network and Sharing Center are accurate. Also, ensure that you are a member of the same workgroup for both PC's. Sharing and access is typically much easier in Vista and Windows 7 than it ever was in XP, but there will always be stumbling blocks to deal with. My easy answer? Upgrade your Vista PC to Windows 7 and throw them both in a HomeGroup. :)

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    There is NO need in updatint the Vista machine.

With Vista and now Windows 7, they both like having the SAME account name and same REAL password on all machines. One does not have to be logged into these accounts, just be on each machine. Make the account as a "Administrator" type. Log out of your current account, log into the new account and let the system make the required file and folders. Then go in and add a password, do this on each machine and you should no longer have this issue.

If it still not allowing you access then, you need to check the Firewall settings and any other Protection programs you are running.

4. myOnlinePCGuy

myOnlinePCGuy

Chas,
    DaveA is certainly correct - there's no need to upgrade your Vista PC to Windows 7. I was merely offering that as a suggestion since many folks new to Windows 7 mistake the fact that HomeGroups can be used regardless of operating system as long as the HomeGroup is created on the Windows 7 PC. That of course is not the case. All PC's must be running Windows 7 in order to take advantage of HomeGroups which work wonderfully well for home networking and end lots of daily frustrations for people looking to do simple home networking. It's absolutely possible without them and the steps and tips that we've both described will get the job done. I added a smiley face at the end of the comment to insinuate that wasn't necessary - I assumed most people would get that.
    Good luck with your printer!

5. Charliep77

Charliep77 Thread Starter

Lets have a big shoutout to DaveA. I'm printing again. But I'm still looking into a printer shareing device.

Thanks Dave
    Chas

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Chas,
    Thanks for the feed back. It seems that I post these instructions 3-5 times a week on several Boards, and all have seemed to solved the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice