Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Sharing laptop wireless connection with desktop via ethernet.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jackdw 
#1 ·
Hi

I have been searching for an answer for this one but hit a brick wall with it so I hope you can help.

I have just moved to a new flat and my broadband connection won't be up for another 8 weeks. I have a desktop pc and a sony vaio notebook with a wlan adapter. I have spoken to my neighbour above and he has a wlan connection, he's been kind enough to give me the WEP key to access this until mine is installed.

I have tried this on the laptop, I can access it fine from a couple of the rooms. However my main pc is my desktop and this only has LAN cards I have attempted to share the WLAN connection with my desktop using ICS however the router is configured on 192.168.0.1 and Windows needs this IP to enable shared internet on the notebook. I can't really ask my neighbour to change this just so I can share the connection to my desktop.

I have managed to create a lan connnection between the two machines so I can RDP into the notebook to browse the web.

I need to know if there is a way I can configure the network connetions within xp to allow the connection to be shared and if not, If there is some kind of proxy application that will allow me to share the connection with my desktop, I have had a look at winproxy but it's all a bit over my head.

I know it would be much simpler to buy a WLAN card for my desktop but this is only temporary so I don't really want to spend the money on something I will never use again.

Can anyone help with this.

both machines are xp, and are connected via ethernet.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I assume you are using crossover cable rather than straight cable.

I think you can do what you need with a network bridge, however I know very little on them and when I tried it, it crashed my computer...
I also would like an answer to this so I can use my PC as a wireless card for any other computer that appears in here.

#3 ·
Yes I'm using a crossover cable and have using fine for RDP up until now.

I have tried every manual and automatic configuration I can think of now including creating a network bridge. I'm going to have another bash at it tonight I was up until 3am last night thinking I was on the edge of solving it!

#5 ·
Stern said:
I know it would be much simpler to buy a WLAN card for my desktop but this is only temporary so I don't really want to spend the money on something I will never use again.
Heilix..

#6 ·
Well I managed to sort it.

I dowloaded and installed CC Proxy ran it on the laptop and configured my browser to use a proxy with the laptop as the IP and the port that cc proxy was running on.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I also configured my lan connection on the desktop to have the laptop as the default gateway and the DNS gateway.

I have internet and MSN for the time being not everything works as I don't know how to get it to work for everything yet as I think the proxy app is just a web proxy,

#7 ·
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to have a fiddle with that.

Glad to know your all sorted, hope the broadband installation goes ok for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.