1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sharing resources on a hardwired router with a ones on a wireless router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kjfrey55, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

I went to a small office that has a DSL connection. It seems to be going through a router of some kind because they all have IP adresses with the first 3 octets being the same number. (e.g. 69.147.292.xxx). I hooked up a wireless router to one of the network connections and attached 3 pc's to it. Of course they now all have addresses like 192.168.2.xxx. Router is a Belkin 802.11g router.

Can I still share resources from the 192.168.2.xxx machines with the ones that have the 69.147.292.xxx addresses?

Thanks.

Ken

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yes, if you change the IP of the LAN interface of the wireless to match the network 69.147.293.xxx it will work.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Instead of tinkering with the router, and getting stuck with the NAT layer anyway, try this configuration. It sounds like you have what would amount to connecting two routers. Consider the network the primary router and follow these instructions, you should be able to share resources.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give that a try once I get back there in the next few days. I also need to see what is actually supplying the 69.147.292.xxx addresses. I have not traced the connections all the way back, but it seems like it is a real router that is supplying these, because they're not the 192.168.x.xxx that you typically see on SOHO networks. The secondary router has been assigned the address of 69.147.292.87 from the primary DHCP device (router?). Other computers in that office have addresses such as 69.147.292.45; ...292.50, etc.

Could this mean that the shared printers from the three computers hanging off the secondary router (the computers with addresses 192.168.2.xxx) will all appear as if they are connected to the secondary router iteself (i.e. the address 69.147.292.87) as if IT were a computer?

Thanks again for your response.

Ken

5. the_thin_man

the_thin_man

kjfrey55 - can you check your IP addresses again as I can't see you going anywhere with a 69.147.292.xxx address as its not a valid address. The third octect (292) is out of range (0-255).

6. JohnWill

While it's not recommended you use addresses outside the range of the normal private IP address ranges, many companies do so in a futile attempt to increase security. In truth, all it really does is cause potential issues when you attempt to contact external sites that use those IP addresses, but nothing for security. If your company is configuring their internal network to use non-private IP addresses, I suggest they fix that.

7. the_thin_man

the_thin_man

Well JohnWill I gave this some thought; it was niggling at me if that address could work. I would have tested it but as nothing I have will even allow me to set up an address range outside the norm I can't.

My thoughts go like this - an IP address is made up of 36 bits of information 0's or 1's that gives you 8 bits for each octet eight 1's make 255 (128+64+32+8+4+2+1). As 292 is actually 9 bits 100100100 the last zero would mean that only 7 bits would be left for the final octet so the address would be 69.147.146.xxx where xxx could only be less than 128. Confused....I am. lol

8. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

My typing error. The address was not 69.147.292.xxx but 69.147.202.xxx - I apologize profusely for sending this thread off on an unnecessary tangent. The point I was trying to make was that they have a "real" router that is handing out addresses in the range of 69.147.202.xxx - one of which has been assigned to the wireless router I've put on this network.

Now that I've hung three computers on this wireless router, they have addresses like 192.168.2.xxx not 69.147.202.xxx - therefore I can share a printer on the computer with the address 192.168.2.4 with another one computer with the address 192.168.2.5 which is also connected to the wireless router.

What I want to do is to be able to share that printer on 192.168.2.4 with a computer connected to the "real" router. That computer has an IP of 69.147.202.24.

Sorry for the confusion. I really appreciate the effort being made to help me.

Ken :eek:

9. the_thin_man

the_thin_man

Now the question is what exactly did you connect your wireless router to?

I'd have a go at switching off DHCP on the wireless router and see if any of the wireless clients pick up the IP address in the 69.147.202.xxx range.

Interesting network address that 69.147.202.0 nothing comes up as a whois for it... another tangent ;)

Edit - http://puck.nether.net/~jared/papers/69-paper.html you learn something new every day :) but thats not your problem if it works for your ISP and no ones using the IP range then theres's nothing to stop it working.

10. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

Thin Man

Now the question is what exactly did you connect your wireless router to?

Yes - probably should have done that prior to starting this thread.

I'd have a go at switching off DHCP on the wireless router and see if any of the wireless clients pick up the IP address in the 69.147.202.xxx range.

Thanks, I'll try shutting off DHCP on the wireless. That makes sense. I'll let you know if it works. I probably won't be back there until this weekend.

Ken

11. JohnWill

If you go back and read my message on connecting two routers together, your question has already been answered.

12. kjfrey55

kjfrey55 Thread Starter

OK JohnWill - I'll try it. Thanks. I'll not be there until Saturday or Sunday, but I'll post results then.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/356296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice