1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shortcut for CMD Windows Commands

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mwredt, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Pro on my computer. I was trying to execute a tip of the day thing. I tried this tip but did not work. I am running Windows XP Pro and when I click on Start>Run>type "cmd", hit Enter a window comes up entitled "C:\Windows\system32\command.com" but another window entitled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" also comes up with the following information:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    Then there are two buttons, one for Close and one for Ignore. No matter which one I click on, the windows close.
    Why does this come up? Why does this not work on my computer?

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Sometimes when this happens, it is a sign of a virus. Are you protected with an anti-virus that is up to date?

3. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Something wrong there. There are two files in System32 that open similar, but actually different windows. cmd.exe, which should open when you type cmd in the Run box, opens the Windows XP command line window. command.com, what you should get if you type command in the Run box, opens a DOS window, which may naturally cause the MS-DOS "unsuitable" message you're getting.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Either run this fix

or

Copy the file from \windows\repair directory to the the \windows\system32 directory.

MS Reference

5. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Whitphil, the fix you referred me to fixed my problem. Thank you for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice