1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shortcut Icons changed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JDWARMER, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

Many of my shortcut icons changed from the default to a small blue box with a double chevron type arrow. Looks like it changed icons in all directories as well as the desktop. I tried the Tweak UI but that only changed some. I've searched the net with no real luck. Any help on why or how to change them back would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab change the Color Quality from 32 bit ro 16 bit, click Apply/OK. Now go back and change the Color Quality from 16 bit to 32 bit, click Apply/OK. This will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct the problem.

Tufenuf

3. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

It didn't help. I attached an image of the arrows that appeared. Maybe this will help. It didn't seem to be a shortcut symbol available through Tweak UI so I don't know where it could have come from.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

JDWARMER, Which programs are these shortcuts associated with? Can you right click them, choose Properties and under the Shortcut tab click the Change Icon button?

Tufenuf

5. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

Various, some of the shortcuts are to web sites, some are to MS Word Documents some are to PDF files etc. I tried to open the Word lin k and Change Icon is grayed out. I changed the icon for one of the web shortcuts but the shortcut designator didn't change.

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

JDWARMER, Have you tried the Rebuild Icons option under Repair in Tweak UI??

Tufenuf

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Have you tried a System Restore?

8. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

Ok, took me a while to find it but again.... didn't help. I did create a shortcut to Techguy.org for the desktop. At first the icon was he old single arrow. After I ran the Icon repair, the tag changed to the newer arrows. Could it have anything to do with indexed files? I did a quick search on XP indexing but didn't see anything.

9. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Could you post a picture of that new Techguy,org shortcut or better yet your Desktop?

Tufenuf

10. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

I did not try a system restore. I haven't used that much, partly because I'd heard it's not very reliable at fixing problems.
    I'll edit the post to add a picture of my desktop but the icons also appear in any icon view of directories.

Attached Files:

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

That thumbnail won't open for me.

Tufenuf

12. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

I'll reattach the JPEG.

Attached Files:

13. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

I got that thumbnail opened and see exactly what you mean. I have never seen that double arrow shortcut overlay before. Have you downloaded some type of icon program recently or a Windows Vista or Windows 7 type of program to give XP a new look? If you can live without the double arrow shortcut overlay use Tweak UI to remove the shortcut arrows. Open Tweak UI>Explorer>Shortcuts and choose "None", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

14. JDWARMER

JDWARMER Thread Starter

Interesting... Tweak UI removed all of the normal shortcut overlays but not the new ones. I've not loaded any new XP tweaks but did install Norton 360. I try to keep updated with automatic updates but don't normally add third party tweaks.

15. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

JDWARMER, I wonder if Norton 360 has something to do with it. Open Tweak UI>Explorer>Shortcuts and choose Custom and click the Change button the scroll slowly to the right till you see the normal small black arrow shortcut overlay and hilite it, click Apply/OK, See what happens and you can allways change it back to None if you wish.

Tufenuf

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice