1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shortcut icons have disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jyccyj, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jyccyj

Jyccyj Thread Starter

I had some 20 shortcut icons on my screen and the last time I booted up they had all disappeared.

Going through IE/Desktop they are all there. I have tried dragging them from the desktop window to the desktop screen but that is not possible as the destination is the same.

I have tried right clicking the desktop screen and creating a new shortcut - the new shortcut is created but only in the desktop window and not on the screen.
    It slows things down when there is no icon to bring up the Internet and other favourite programmes and there is no Recycle Bin.
    Can anyone help please.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try right-clicking, View, Show Desktop Icons.

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Jyccyj, If Elvandil's suggestion doesn't work it's possible that the Desktop Cleanup Wizard is turned on and it ran. Check out the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306542

Tufenuf

4. Jyccyj

Jyccyj Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I had already tried both of them and no icons appear on the wallpaper. The Wizrd effects what is happening in the Desktop window where I can remove and restore but nothing happens on the screen wallpaper.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the wallpaper? Is it one of your images? Is there anything at all on the desktop?

6. Computer_Genius

Computer_Genius

You probably selected delete dektop shortcuts in a disk cleanup program =]

7. Jyccyj

Jyccyj Thread Starter

Hi
    The desktop background or wallpaper is one of my photos which has been there for years. Shortcut icons should appear on top of it. There is also the Start horizontal Toolbar at the bottom of the screen with the time, volume, remove hardware safely icons on it.
    My problem is not being able to get icons back onto the desktop screen/wallpaper. As I said originally, the icons are there on the Desktop Window (opened through Internet Explorer); new ones appear there, but none appears on the desktop screen.

I have not heard of this happening before and I thought someone else might have done ?

I have also tried System Restore but restoring to an earlier point cannot be done.

Any further suggestions?

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Jyccyj, Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the Web tab make sure that everything is unchecked, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

9. Jyccyj

Jyccyj Thread Starter

Thank you - icons back in place.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice