1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shortcuts changed to .lnk and programs wont open.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nodnarb76, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

Hello, my name is Brandon. I'm new to this forum. I'm having the exact same problems as another member named Chris. forums.techguy.org/t307784.html I tried to follow the instructions layed out in that thread but have encountered some problems. I believe that I've removed all the viruses from my computer but all of my shortcuts are still showing lnk extensions. I was able to run a full scan using adware plus.

The next step on the thread says to download the EXEFIX08.reg file and add it to the registry.

1). How do I "Rename the extension from TXT to REG and double click to add it to the registry"? I've tried but have been unsuccessful. When I download the file, it opens either as an html document or in wordpad. I'm not sure how to rename an extension in wordpad. Can you please explain how I can do this?

Also, I would appreciate some more clarification on this statement "Before doing this, run Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View Tab and ensure that Hide Extensions of know file types is UNselected."

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome Brandon. Exefix08 is generally recommended for 9x problems where executable will not open. For XP and similar level operating systems, different patches are available. You are in the XP forum.

lnk is the normal extension for shortcuts, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.

If you are having problems with exe's (which the shortcuts link to) and you have XP -- here is your fix:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

After running that, post a HijackThis Scanlog here for review:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    R'Rog: I think he meant the EXEs were changed to .LNK :D

Just to answer your question, here is an example:

You have a file name document.doc. When you see it in My Computer, you would see it as document because Windows know it's a doc file (word). If you try to rename the extension to say document.txt, the computer will still see it as a doc file because you didn't really change the extension, rather you renamed it to document.txt.doc. Now the instruction given to go to the Tools > Folder Options > View tab and uncheck Hide Known File Types is so you can change the extension of the file. Again for example, the file will now show in My Computer as document.doc instead of document because it's showing the extension. So when you change the filename to document.txt, it will change the file from a word file to a text file.

Now in your case, you will need to change the text file (.txt) to a registry file (.reg) by making sure you can see the .txt extension. If you can see the extension, simply rename the file to filename.reg.

Hope that clarifies your question :D

4. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

Hello Tidus4yuna, thanks for your reply and clarification of my problem. Now, as far as the instructions given to go to the tools, excuse me for sound a bit stupid, but are you referring to the tools at the top of my internet explorer bar?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah, my bad. I assume people know the toolbar on the top :) You are correct that when I said Tools > ... it is the Tools menu on top.

6. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

When I click on the tools bar at the top, it list mail and news, sychronize, windows update, messenger and internet options. There is no reference to folder options. When can I find folder options?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You need to be in My Computer to do it. Both have the same format, just different Tools options. :D

PS Do you have XP and if so did you follow Rollin' Rog's advice?

8. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

Hi, I found the tools options. For the link that Rollin Rog, gave me there are like 20 or so files. Do I need to download all of them? Also, I was able to add the .reg extension to the exefix08 file. However, when I click on it, a messgae pops up said that windows cannot open this file.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The one you need (if you have XP) is:

EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure where you got those exefix08 instructions, but that is not what you want to run in any event if you have XP.

There is also a fix for shortcut (lnk) files on that XP site, which it won't hurt to run if you think you are having problems with the shortcut lnk extensions as well.

As for exefix08, normally this is downloaded as a .reg or .com file from a site called "reticulated toys". No special instructions or conversion is needed to run them but they are not for XP even though they may sometimes work.

The reason you may be seeing it as a text file is that you are opening it from the site rather than actually downloading it. Right click > Save target as usually avoids that problem.

11. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

Thanks rolling rog for the clarification. However, i'm having problems opening any file with any format. I can unzip any file and files ending in .exe won't open. I have no idea what to do.

12. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

I figured out how to unzip the file. When I opened the EXE File Association Fix for Xp, I opened it in notepad and got the following information. Now, what I am suppose to do with this information?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    @="Application"
    "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
    "TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
    "InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
    @="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
    @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
    @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have fully unzipped that file it should not normally open in Notepad when you left click it (it has a .reg extension not .txt) UNLESS you have tweaked the registry to open .reg files in a text editor. Actually this is a safety feature and I use it myself.

However as long as the file has a .reg extension you should still be able to merge it to the registry by right clicking on the .reg file and selecting "merge" from the right click window.

14. nodnarb76

nodnarb76 Thread Starter

I used winzip to unzip it. But, i'm actually not sure if I unzipped it all the way. "Ratio =76%" and "Packed=619" Actually, i'm not sure what those mean. But, when I left click on the file with a .reg extension. It Does Not open in notepad. However, when I right click, I do not see a "merge" option.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the reg file is still in the zip folder you must move it out of there or it will not run properly. This may also be why you are not seeing the normal right click context menu.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice