Solved: Shortcuts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

QBA

I'm using Windows XP Pro and I open folders on my computer with shortcut like "Ctrl + Alt + "Letter key".

To get this to work I created hidden shortcuts on my Desktop and under: Properties/"Shortcut" tab/"Shortcut key" Field. I added a shortcut key, by then pressing this particular "shortcut key" the folder attach to the shortcut folder will open.

So far so good but once in a while out of the blue these shortcuts stop working all at once, restarting the computer ect doesn't fix the problem, the only way I found the shortcuts will start working again is by clearing the "shortcut key" field under Properties/"Shortcut" Tab then clicking ok, opening up properties again and adding once again the shortcut key on the "shortcut field"

Why Do I have to keep reentering the shortcut keys on the shortcut folders for this to work?

Any idea what can I do to prevent the shortcut command from stop working on the future?

Thanks

Alex

Quick question, do you have any macroing programs? Or programs that reserve keypresses. Some disable them. Also some programs like desktop authority or other computer management software disable key combos. Check if you have any of those.

QBA

thanks iXneonXi, if doesn't come with xp pro I don't think I have them because I haven't install any of those since I have not clue what they are.

What I do have is a Keyboard that let me assign macros or shortcuts commands to particular keys and that is what I use to launch my folders; but I don't think the is keyboard the problem because everytime they stop working I always try typping the shourt cut manually: Ctrl + Alt + "Letter key" and doesn't work either.

Do you use programs like Ad-aware or MRUblaster, because sometimes they can be stored in the recent list. For what you do, instead of using a program, i just use windows build in, i create a shortcut, go to the shortcut properties and assign a shortcut key combo.

QBA

Thanks iXneonXi,

I don't use Ad-aware or MRUblaster but I use Antispyware by Microsoft, can Antispyware be turning off my shortcuts key combo?

I think I do the same thing that you do, I created a shortcut add a shortcut key combo in its shortcut properties and then I add that shortcut to one of my keyboard key, by pressing that key the shortcut is being executed, but the problem is not the last step (the keyboard) because once the shortcut fail, I keep trying by pressing the actuals key of the shortcut combo with not result

Ok you cleared things up. Try creating them again, and getting them in order, and then running a scan and restarting your computer, just ruling out some possibilities.

QBA

Thanks iXneonXi,

So just to make sure I understood, you want me too get them to work again by creating the shortcuts again, once they are created run the Antispayware from Microsoft and then restart my system?

Let me do that

QBA

Sorry a little bit of update on my post, I think that I find out that once I restart my computer is when the shortcuts stop working :(

Any more ideas?

QBA

Thanks iXneonXi,

Yep when I restart they stop working doesn't matter if I scan :(

Is antispyware set to run in the background, sometimes (not always) when you add a shortcut key, it tries to modify parts of the system and antispyware programs don't allow it, (this may not be the case, but i'm just going over all scenarios *sp?)

Try disabling the spyware real-time scanner and restarting. Restart again, setup a few shortcuts and then restart (this time check once it reboots to see if shortcuts still work)

That could be the case for some but i think these are just standard desktop shortcuts that have shortcut keys attached to them.

QBA

Thanks Guy,

As iXneonXi mention they are just standar shortcuts I created out of some of my more often use personal folder and I added a shortcut key to it on their shotcut tab under properties.

mike5532g I will try downloading that third party application to see if it can take over and stop whatever is disableling my shortcuts on XP pro :)

Yes well a 3rd party application prolly will fix ur problem, because the program handles the shortcuts and not windows built in feature which seems to be having trouble. Just make sure any 3rd party software you download doesn't have spyware.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online