1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: should be a simple excel question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by valis, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

emphasis on should. made a chart, got some random data over some random dates, for some reason excel adds the dates in between the random dates, on what it thinks is the logical pattern. Stupid program. Stupider user can't figure out why it is doing this.

For instance:
    Column A has dates
    7.24.05, 7.28.05, 8.22.05, 8.27.05, 8.31.05, 9.1.05, ,9.2.05, 9.7.05, and

But excel insists on filling in every other day from 7.30 to 8.22. I've seen this before, only in office xp, but was never annoyed enough to figure it out. Now I've found I can't, and as such, am here.

tia,

valis

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

And when does this happen? I just made up an Excel chart with the exact same dates and ... nothing ...? I don't see what you are talking about.

By the way, is there some reason you use period separators between the mm.dd.yy? instead of the usual (even for Texas :)) slashes, as in mm/dd/yy

3. valis

et voila.

Attached Files:

4. valis

as far as the dot v slash routine, i dunno. been doing it for about as long as i can remember....jersey.....colorado......oregon......even <shudder> cali....

5. grumblegus

grumblegus

Hiya Valis,

Though I am new to the forum, I thought I could offer you my suggestion on this. If you right-click on the chart, select Chart Options....select the "Axes" tab. On that tab, under "Primary Axis" yours is defaulted to "Automatic". Select "Category" and hit "OK". This gets rid of all the in-between dates. However, the range of your X axis appears to span the entire year, so your current data is restricted to the left of the chart....for now. Unfortunately, that is where I got stuck. I couldn't get your chart to limit the range of the X axis to only that of the data on your table.

Well....one problem down, right?

6. valis

don't think that's going to do it....i may be wrong, but i remember the last time I worked around this is was a setting somewhere....i THINK.....

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

Hummmmm, I see that the fill in dates are being added to "flesh out" the missing dates. I don't see it as a serious problem though, since each data point on the various lines on the chart are marked by a &#9674; (diamond).

You could emphasize the actual dates you actually have entered by putting in "drop lines" by right clicking over the blue area,
    selecting "Format Data Series"
    select the "Options" and check "Drop lines"

Other than that, I have no other ideas at the moment. Sorry.

8. valis

true, it's not a 'serious' problem, but it is an annoying one....i'd rather not see plateau's......

9. valis

got it....had to enter the old " ' " in front of the date.....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice