1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Should have known better

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by buf, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

It was late last night, I was past being tired and sleepy but I did it anyway. Used Easeus free backup software 5.5 and backed up my computer. Did a good job of it--I guess but I saved the backup to the source disk--the C: in error. Now the C: has increased by the size of the backup or 24 gigs. Is there a way of getting that backup out of C: and then deleting the backup? Another one for the Gipper. Any help and as usual, TIA.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Copy the file to somewhere else and then delete the "C" one.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Terry, you make this sound so simple. Let me see if I have this right. You want me to move the backup (I moved it to a new folder I opened on the desktop) and will delete it from there. By doing that, the backup I made on 1-11(last night) will be as though it never happened. Right??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When I answered I was thinking of Macrium Reflect Free, which creates a single file for the backup. Assuming that Easeus also just creates one file then deleting that makes the backup completely disappear. Or, you could first copy it to another disk if that is what you had intended to do.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

No, it is not Macrium Reflect Free but as already indicated, I moved the file to a desktop folder and there it sits while waiting to decide what to do with it. At this point, I do not know if this backup is good or bad--but I have to assume it is good. By copying it to another empty external hd, I would be saving it and it would be "out of the way" so to speak and available if I should need it later. If I do this, I suppose it would then be OK to delete the folder holding the backup. Your thoughts.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree with your suggested copy and then delete.

7. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks but I have one additional thought. Perhaps I should move the file and not just copy it to the ext. hd.

8. buf

buf Thread Starter

I have moved the backup and all appears to be just fine. Thanks for your help in this matter.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

"Move" is a copy followed by a delete, but for large files I like to go to the extra effort of copy, make sure the copy is OK, and then delete the original. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice