Solved: Should I get this graphics card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hungledink

I currently have an ATI RADEON X800 and am looking to upgrade so I can watch HD content on my PC, and perhaps play some of the latest games.

I have identified this card (£55) as a good possible upgrade. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118287

After reading the specs it seems to support HDTV out, but in reviews I have read it doesnt seem to perform any better than the X800 in benchmark tests. (I am not really knowledgable in these things so I may have misinterpreted the data.)

Is it worth getting the card, or could anyone recommend a better one, for roughly the same price?

(One thing to bear in mind is I have a 350w PSU, and having a dell PC dont want to have to change the PSU.)

Thanks.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
The X1650 Pro won't offer better performance the your current X800, possibly even a little worse as you've seen.

You may want to consider a Geforce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600 cards, performance will be on par or slightly better then the X800 and offer HD playback enhancements.

Also check the software you intend to use to playback the HD content, it may list specific requirements and recommended cards to use.

If you say you want to play the lastest games, you should get NVIDIA 8800, or ATI 2900

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Also what interface does your computer have for the video card? AGP or PCI-Express?

hungledink

I have PCI Express.

Having read some stuff since reading your input, lots of people seem to recommend this card instead of the HD 2600.

Not sure which of the two to go for now!!! :eek:

Cant really afford to go for the 8800 or 2900, looking for the best budget option.

Well that its a direct x 10 card, but I think 8800 GT would be the best choice for you

Triple6

First Name
Rob
I'd go for the 8600GT instead of the HD2600 too. I haven't been very impressed ATI's drivers lately, but the HD2600XT is a little faster with the latest driver set from ATI/AMD.

Its funny how almost everyone will recommend the 8800 when the word budget is used.

8500gt/8600gt is the way to go for a budget.
I'm playing Crysis on Low to Med with a 8500gt. Its not the best but I make do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online