1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: should i get this Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kharimw, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kharimw

kharimw Thread Starter

iam thinking of getting this MoBo can some one tell me if it is worth buying

BIOSTAR "K8NHA Grand" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU $ 70.

Detailed Specifications
    Model K8NHA Grand
    CPU Socket 754 for AMD Athlon 64
    Chipset NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb
    Memory 2x 184-pin DDR266/333/400
    Max capacity: 2 GB
    Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 8X/4X
    5 x PCI
    IDE 2 x ATA 133/100 IDE connectors supporting up to 4 IDE devices
    SATA/RAID 2 x Serial ATA support RAID 0, RAID 1 by South Bridge
    Back Panel I/O Connectors 1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
    1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
    1 x Parallel Port
    1 x Serial Ports
    4 x USB 2.0/1.1 Ports
    1 x RJ45
    1 x IEEE1394
    Audio Ports
    Integrated Video N/A
    Integrated Audio Realtek ALC655 AC97 Rev 2.3 6-channel audio
    Integrated LAN NVIDIA Gigabit MAC + VITESSE Gigabit PHY (supports 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet)
    NVIDIA StreamThru technology (isochronous controller paired with HyperTransport results in fastest networking performance)
    NVIDIA Firewall technology
    - Remote access, configuration, monitoring
    - Command line interface
    - WMI scripts
    Integrated 1394 VIA VT6307
    Support for 2 ports with transfer up to 400mbps
    Form Factor ATX

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this for a new system you are building or is this a replacement? More info needed.

Be aware that the Socket 754 is going to be AMD's budget line. All the best CPU's and hardware advancements are being made on socket 939 boards. This will somewhat limit the upgradeablity of the system.

Aloso, avoid Biostar. They're not the best manufacturer. Consider an Asus, Abit, Epox, or MSI motherboard.

3. obvious

obvious

no, amd is going to phase 754 out alltogether. at least, that's what ive heard. if you are happy with getting a 32bit only sempron 3100+cpu, and overclocking it, then go ahead. otherwise dont bother. grab an nforce4 from asus

http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm

now THAT is what i would get *if i had access to my bank account *sniff** oh come on, im 15 and my parents set up the bank so i cant touch my money without their say-so untill im 17!!!!!!

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

5. WarC

WarC

Socket 754 will live on as AMD's Sempron's socket...The budget line, basically. They have recently announced Sempron 3300+ on the Socket 754. These are based on the A64 but using 32 instead of 64-bit instructions.

In terms of performance, an A64 on a Socket 754 versus a similar A64 on a Socket 939 are really pretty close. It's just going to get harder and harder to find a 64-bit processor for Socket 754, thats all.

The board will be a good performer for a $70 motherboard. Biostar makes budget motherboards generally, but the nForce line is a performer all the same. It won't have the bells and whistles, but performance is the point. I actually haven't had much trouble with Biostars. I got the M7NCG-400 based on the nForce2 when I built my brother's machine. At work in the last year we've purchased ten Biostars, one was bad out of the box and one was fried by a crappy Powmax powersupply (Hey, I don't decide what to get - I just fix it when it breaks lol)

6. kharimw

kharimw Thread Starter

yes it is for a new system as always funs r slim just need a 64 bit mobo that has firewire i don't want to spend more than $70 so this is in the right price range . have to stick to my budget :) i was also thinking of getting this cpu

Specifications:
    Model: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Core: Newcastle
    Operating Frequency: 2GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Process: 0.13 Micron
    Socket: Socket 754
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

7. obvious

obvious

@jackiefrost

my prob is much worse, my dad has a hell of a lot of willpower, and is scared of the internet, and will not buy anything over the web. same thing over the phone too.

anyway, the 754 cpus dont have the dual channel ram, and need registered ecc ram which aint all that good. personally, i'd go for the extra expense of a 939 er.

that cpu is a decent cpu, though there are better in the 754 range. correct me if im wrong, there is no such thing as 'intergrated into chip fsb'

the 939 winchester core is more power efficent, needing only 1.4v *ish* to run. its also cooler (temps, not fashion!-) so you dont need such a big cooler on it. so overall, its a nicer overclocker.

how much is that cpu of yours kharimw? as you could get the 3100+ sempron for just under a £120. the sempron for socket 754 is a VERY NICE overclocker, as with just the stock cooler it can make a BIG jump fsb speed wise. only 32bit though that isnt a great loss at the moment.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice