Solved: Showing two D drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

Was checking out my partitions before dual booting my Windows 8.1 with the Windows 10 Tech Preview and found some stuff that really threw me for a loop. What in the world am I doing with two D drives and two Recovery partitions?

Attachments

Golddust, if you view the storage media through File Explorer do you still see 2 x D: ...?

T.

First Name
Jay
On a preinstalled version of windows 8.1 it is normal to have two Recovery Partitions. Concerning the two D: Partitions I don't have an answer.

golddust

Stumbled on my answer back at the Microsoft forums. In case anyone else runs into this. It's because I upgraded my original Windows 8 to 8.1. The first D drive is actually a 'ghost' being picked up of the original installation - notice it wasn't showing in the bottom graphic version. They don't seem to know why it does this. It isn't actually taking up space on the hard drive. The recovery partitions are the original install and the upgrade install recoveries.

Good to learn that you sorted the issue...(y)

That is why I asked if you could "see" 2 x D: in File Explorer. If not then the "second" D: is a ghost.

Sometime, someday, some programmer will find the duplicate line of code that creates this ghost..... but with 50+ million lines of code it may just take a little while.... :D

T.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts