Solved: shut off adobe reader?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jdemnyan1116

thanks to the teck site, l found out how to shut off Java which works pretty good, have it off and it doesn't even phase nothing. Anyway, now that Adobe Reader is starting to get attacked with viruses and trojans, is there a way that you can shut off Adobe and use it when needed? Do not want to uninstall it just shut it off.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Are you using IE?

You can probably disable the Adobe Add-Ons in Tools > Manage Add-Ons

DoubleHelix

Banned
Keeping up to date with patches and Windows updates, using good security software, and practicing smart, safe computing habits works for me. I've never had Adobe Reader or any other component attacked or compromised. I don't see how "turning off" (whatever that means) Adobe or Java until you need it provides any level of protection. Obviously the app will "turn on" when it's used, and that's the point a vulnerability is exploited.

jdemnyan1116

I use firefox as my default browser. I hardly use them unless necessary, I have never been hit either yet but it is good to know how to shut it off until needed.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. You're vulnerable as long as you have Reader on your system, as DoubleHelix points out above. For the moment, the only safe thing to do is remove it completely.

"Computerworld - Exploits of Adobe's PDF format jumped dramatically last year, and continue to climb during 2010, a McAfee security researcher said Wednesday.

Microsoft, meanwhile, recently said that more than 46% of the browser-based exploits during the second half of 2009 were aimed at vulnerabilities in Adobe's free Reader PDF viewer."
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9176117/PDF_exploits_explode_continue_climb_in_2010

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online