1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: shut off Java in firefox?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jdemnyan1116, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

With all the holes now in Jave, I just downloaded the new version supposed to stop the hole in Java. Update 20. Would like to know how to shut off Java in firefox, which is my default browser. Can you shut if off in IE also without uninstalling it? Don't plan on shutting it off just want to know in case of problems later.

2. hewee

hewee

Go the control panel, java under admin account because your see more things.
    Then go to Advanced, Default java for browers and click the +.
    Then uncheck the ones under it.

3. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Found it no problem, it has two browsers, the mozilla browser I can uncheck, but the IE browser I cannot. It seems to be a lighter color than the Mozilla one, will not highlight to uncheck the box. Maybe have to be using IE to have it bolder looking to uncheck it?

4. hewee

hewee

You may need to be under an admin account to have rights to make the changes.

Odd because I just looked and it is not grayed out on my XP Pro and I looked under a user account with limited rights.
    Not sure but maybe you have to have IE closed down so it shows up right to uncheck it. Opps I just checked with IE open and it was not grayed out but I could not uncheck it unless I had Admin rights.

Also on the Advanced, Miscellaneous there is the "Quick start" that starts the java at every boot that is not needed and can be uncheck. Sorry "Quick start" is not what it says word for word but your know it when you see it. Can say what it says word for word because I can not see it under a user account.
    But you have to have Admin rights to uncheck it. You even need the admins to even see it show up to uncheck it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice