1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: shutdown dialog box removal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dougx789, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi, basically I want XP to shutdown in the same manor as windows 7.. click start, click shutdown and it does...
    Currently I click start, click shutdown, then it brings up a dialog box asking me what I want the computer to do (shutdown, restart etc).
    The problem is I've got used to windows 7 and keep clicking the first shutdown button then walking off to come back several hours later to find its still turned on with the dialog box up..
    Every thing I've found on google talks about making a shortcut on desktop as an alternative to using the start menu shutdown button.. not what I'm after.

Thanks

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What I do to shutdown windows is alt + f4. This brings up that second screen you are talking about called the "shutdown windows" window. Shut down should be the first one and then you just click enter. Much faster than using the mouse.

3. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your reply..
    That is what I do currently when I remember that going via start menu just brings up another window.
    I also have the power button set to shutdown when pressed but again when I'm in a rush I instinctively go straight to the start menu.

4. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

well right click on your desktop and click new and click shortcut then type shutdown then press ok and then you should have a name your shortcut screen then just enter a name then just press ok if you can wait till i get out of school ill attach a more clean looking one

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I don't think it's possible to stop the Start menu shutdown from calling the dialog.
    Why not hide the menu item and put a shutdown shortcut in it's place?

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I agree with throoper. I think it is something in xp that Microsoft designed it to be that way. In Vista (I think) and for sure 7, they realized this was dumb and changed it.

7. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

@throoper how would I put a shutdown shortcut in its place?

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

To make a shutdown shortcut:

Right click your desktop and click New>Shortcut.
    In the "Type the location of the item" line, type %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 and click next (note the spaces before and after the -s and -t). If you want a time delay before the computer shuts down, change the 00 to the number of seconds you want, such as 3 to give a 3 second delay.
    Name the shortcut Shutdown, click Finish and then drag it to your Start menu.

To make a shortcut for Restart, create another New shortcut and type %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 for the location.

To hide the existing Shutdown on the Start menu:

Click Start>Run>type gpedit.msc>OK.
    In the left pane of the Group Policy dialog, click User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar.
    In the right pane, double click "Remove and prevent access to the shutdown command".
    On the Settings tab, click "Enabled" and then OK.
    If you later decide to put it back, click either "Not configured" or "Disabled" to add the Turn off to the Start menu.

9. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

i have attached a zip file with prebuilt icons and an instructions txt file.

Attached Files:

10. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Thanks! This will be a lot better :)
    No more leaving my laptop running.. Definitely an improvement made when they made vista/seven

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice