1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Shutdown on Startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zulukingcrowned, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zulukingcrowned

zulukingcrowned Thread Starter

Hey, this computer has been running fine for a long time...it had done this a few times in the past year, but always solved itself.

Power it on, shuts down after half a second. Like I said, usually fixes itself, but now I've tried it at least fifteen times after cleaning the tower thoroughly and checking all connections and nothing (powering it on with nothing connected). I'm assuming this is a PSU issue? Perhaps it's on its last legs. This computer is a few years old...XP SP3, 2GB DDR2, ASUS motherboard off the top of my head..

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The psu is the first thing I would suspect. Swap in a known good; ie working unit to test.

BTW I would NOT be attempting to use the system until the power problems are sorted out.

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'd say you need to check your PSU by swapping it out and it wouldn't hurt to put a new CMOS battery in just to be sure the bios is in running order. Either one can cause issues like this. Jazz

4. zulukingcrowned

zulukingcrowned Thread Starter

Never had a CMOS error nor has the computer sat for a long time...though if the PSU doesn't fix the issue I'll look into it.

Any recommendations on a PSU?

The stock one was a Ultra X-connect 500w X-ULT500P...the computer has a medium load I'd say.

5. iframe

iframe

Test your psu !
    70% its that :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice