Solved: Shutting off Touch Pad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

onceup

I have a Gateway Laptop that I can't shut off. Gateway told me how to do it but the menu they sent me to does not have the same choices as they mentioned. Not sure how old it is. Bought it as a Refurb.
SN = T2372F1005398
MDL = MX 8715
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RD

TerryNet

Terry
I've merged your threads here. To add a post to an existing thread you need to click on "Post Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced" at the bottom of your thread.

TerryNet

Terry
You probably need the latest driver for your touchpad. See if you can find it on Gateway's web site (Support section) for your PC/touchpad.

onceup

I downloaded a driver that should be correct. But how wil this help if the correct choices are not in the menu?
RD

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes the reason that advanced options are not available is because of a "generic" or outdated driver. That's why the first thing I suggested was to make sure you had an up to date driver that is specifically for your touch pad.

What touch pad is it? What driver do you have for it? Those answers may help others help you.

What are the instructions Gateway provided?

onceup

The instructions from Gateway were to go to Control Panel and then Mouse and the on/off switch would be there. Not so.
The driver that was in this Gateway Notepad Computer when I got it I don't know. I don't know what one I downloaded. I don't know how to check to find out. I do know it is a real pain.

TerryNet

Terry
In Device Manager look under "Mice and other pointing devices" for the touchpad. Right click on it - Properties - Driver tab - you'll see the provider and version of the current driver. For example, on this HP laptop I have Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad and the driver provider is Synaptics and the version is 11.0.7.0.

Look for the latest driver on Gateway's web site for your model; if not there look for the touchpad manufacturer's web site.

FWIW on the Control Panel - Mouse window there should be a special tab for the touchpad--see attached example (shows my touchpad disabled).

Attachments

onceup

Sorry. This is the problem. As before. There is no touchpad listed in Device Manager. In fact I checked throough every item in Device Manager. Nothing. So there isn't much I can tell you other than what I have. I have a friend that has a lter model model Gateway Laptop. There is a switch on his to trun on/off the Touchpad. I have tried all the Fn/F keys as well. Nothing.

A Touch Pad if using generic drivers may be just listed as PS/2 Mouse or HID-compliant mouse. Problem is USB or PS/2 mouse may also be listed as HID-compliant mouse.

If there is no Touch Pad On/Off tab in Control Panel, Mouse; check for enable/disablde buttons on Hardware or Device tabs. If you have a Touch Pad and a mouse, there should be two devices listed. If you cannot tell which is which, dis able each in turn.

Another possibility, there may be a Touch Pad On/Off option in Bios.

onceup

I have looked at everything you mentioned. I know which is the Touchpad in Device Driver. What will happen if I disable the Touchpad Mouse?
RD

The Touch Pad will stop functioning. Any contact with the pad and its buttons will not effect the cursor.

A touchpad on/off button should really be labelled as an enable/disable switch because that is what is does without all the clicking.

onceup

If I diable the touchpad in Device Manager the Touchpad will no longer work but the USB Plugin Mouse will still work. Is this correct? If so problem is solved.
Then I have at least one more question.
RD

onceup

I resolved the Gateway Touchpad problem by downloading a "Synaptics" driver for my notebook. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online