1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sick of IE error--Reinstall?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Roe727, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

I have been receiving a memory error on IE and I was thinking about reinstalling IE. Error message reads: The instruction at Ox01485f6c referenced memory at Ox01485f6c . The memory could not be "read". There is something about it in Help and Support for XP, but basically when I contacted Microsoft, they said that I needed to wait for a patch for it. My son's are running WIndows XP too and don't have the problem. So I was thinking about reinstalling IE.

My question is this..........what is the easiest way to reinstall IE? If I uninstall IE first, then I have no browser.

Suggestions? I'm running Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180).

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

IE is an integral part of Windows, "uninstalling" (while technically possible in SP2) is not desirible in my view.

Run System File Check first.

Start-Run- type
    SFC /scannow
    and press Enter

Make sure you type the space between "SFC" and " /scannow"

A dialog box will appear and give progress, it will disappear when complete. You may or may not be asked to put in your XP disk.

3. Roe727

Roe727 Thread Starter

Ok....I see your point. I went and ran the SFC /scannow, hoping that it wouldn't ask for my disc, as I don't have one. I didn't receive one when I got the computer. Apparently you have to ask for it and they charge you, even though it is preinstalled. (When I ordered my boys computer recently, I realized that and ordered one for theirs.) Anyway, I ran it and then of course, I got a Windows File Protection window that says: Files that are required for WIndows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now.....:eek: ......

Any other suggestions??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice