1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Side-by-side configuration incorrect for every 32-bit exe (not 64)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by necrovamp, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Well, I get the message
    [​IMG]
    when I try to open nearly every program.

programs that installed with windows 7 a long time ago, seem to run fine (winlogon.exe and eveyrthing needed to login)
    also, paint, wordpad, notepad, winrar and ventrilo work.

programs that do not work are
    all browsers - IE8, chrome, and firefox, seemingly all games, and well everything that I did not mention above.
    This include downloaded exes, and the windows installer service.

PS. I was able to get internet working on the 64 bit version, i think all the programs that work are 64 bit exes

I checked the event log and here is what is shown (same file every time)
    "
    Something that I will try when I get home is using the file from my desktop, but I have no confidence that that will work.

I cant system restore
    I believe this happened while my laptop was going into sleep mode and lost power

I am currently pursing a way to reinstall all my c++ and .net packages without exes in another thread

2. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

no response so far, this is what I've figured out

the file in question
    x86_microsoft.windows.c..-controls.resources_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7600.16385_en-us_020378a8991bbcc2.manifest

is not just missing a line, the data of the file is corrupt, I figured this out by comparing whats in the file

[​IMG]

to the same file from my desktop computer

I dont know what much of that means, except that it has to do with my cpu, so it means it is probably particular to my computer so I'm think if I absolutely cannot stand re installing everything, I can (using various linux live cds ect...) resize my drive's partitions, reinstall the same windows version, and install the same packages C++ and .net, and then use the file from the new installation to replace in the old installation, and if I fail, ill have a new installation ready to go, and another partition with a list of my programs and all my settings, can anyone think of a better plan or tell me how to replace that corrupt file?

3. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Ok none of the online solutions worked so I found my own.
    My laptop with an intel core 2 duo CPU, had this problem, it was a corrupt manifest file.
    I replaced that corrupt manifest file with the one from my desktop which had an intel core2 quad
    The file that I had to replace (above) seemed to contain no information specific to anything other than maybe the CPU
    SO, the solution I came up with, is just find a way to replace that file. (presumably with one from a backup or computer with similar CPU)

OK, I researched this problem online, and only found 3 solutions,

1. System restore to a time when your computer was working

2. install the programs in the following order (assuming you can install things)
    3. Reinstall windows

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice