1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Signatures in MS Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Martial33, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    ok, I tried creating something to use as a signature in Photoshop.

I tried saving it as a jpeg, gif and even imported it to word, then saved it as an htm file but whenever I opened Express to send a mail, I get an error saying its not a good signature.

I read some other posts here on this back from '04 but nothing seemed to help.

I know how to make a text only signature but wanted something more fancy.

can you create it in Photoshop? If so what do you save it as? Am I missing something?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    ha! great minds must think alike -- I was on that page but I couldent figure it out. He says to use an html editor.

this is one way it WONT work..

what I tired was to
    * make something up in Photoshop.
    * uploaded it to Photobucket.com -- this creates links to your pics - clicking the link will give you html coding or image coding etc.

* saved the file to the pc,
    * tried using that file but got errors

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Where did he say that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The instructions are to create a new blank HTML formatted message in Outlook Express. You add whatever text you want and/or insert picture files from your hard drive for the signature. Make sure View -> Source Edit is checked. You then click the source tab and copy a particular block of the HTML source code and paste it into notepad. You then save the notepad document as an HTML file. You do not need a special HTML editor and Outlook is creating all of the needed HTML code, including the links to the included graphics, for you. Just be sure not to delete, rename or change the location of any graphics files used in the signature.

FYI, An "All Graphic" signature may not be a good idea. Some recipients may have their e-mail preferences set to plain text or to not display graphics.

5. Martial33

Martial33 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Phil
    cwwozniak

Yep! It works!

I missed the part about saving it in notepad. (which is why I tried to save the code from photobucket) -- also I dident know about the "view source" in Express inwhich to pull code from.

also, I noticed that the default to save to in NP must be "text"

so after saving it, I found the file and renamed the extention ".html" - it says "are you sure" - click "yes" then go back to options/signatures/find the file/ apply and it WORKS!

thanks for your help. This is getting marked as solved!(y)

"learning all the time!" Benny Hill - 1970's

best, M/

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are welcome. (y)

By the way... when doing a "Save as" in Notepad, if you change the file type to "Any", you can use the .html extension and not have to rename the file later.

7. DKTaber

DKTaber

Chuck: Just a note to say thanks for the advice. I look to TSG to solve many of my computer problems, a signature issue being this week's problem. My search for "signatures" led me to this thread. I followed the instructions and voila!, I now have a way to insert a signature in my e-mails that I have for years having to "construct" every time.

Love TSG!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice